Aquarium Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi, I just joined today, and thought I'd introduce myself. I'm 26 years old, and I live in texas, and just moved into my own house, which has sparked my interest in aquariums. I am sort of new to them, other than just some guppies that I had when I was a kid, but now I'm wanting to get into the more exotic species, specifically, the volitan lionfish, piranha, and electric eel, eventually. I am looking to install an in-wall porthole tank, btw. Does anyone have any experience with these kind of tanks? If so, please dont hesitate to advise me.

·
Registered
1,770 Posts
Welcome to the site!

·
Registered
278 Posts
Welcome to the forum, I am sure you will find yourself in good company here.

I have helped install a couple in the wall at a friends SW only specialty store in the Sea-Tac area and might be able to help you out a bit. The 2 we installed and set up were in a single story store front with a false ceiling. So it was pretty easy and straight forward. The biggest issue will be finding a non-load bearing wall to put it into. This become more of an issue as the size of the tank (length wise) increases.

What are you going to do a SW FOWLR, SW Reef or one of the several types of FW tanks? Since you obviously have a taste for Preaditors, might want to seriously consider a sup type system and use a Reef Ready tank for simplisty sake even if your going to do FW. Just a thought...

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Welcome to the forum, I am sure you will find yourself in good company here.

I have helped install a couple in the wall at a friends SW only specialty store in the Sea-Tac area and might be able to help you out a bit. The 2 we installed and set up were in a single story store front with a false ceiling. So it was pretty easy and straight forward. The biggest issue will be finding a non-load bearing wall to put it into. This become more of an issue as the size of the tank (length wise) increases.

What are you going to do a SW FOWLR, SW Reef or one of the several types of FW tanks? Since you obviously have a taste for Preaditors, might want to seriously consider a sup type system and use a Reef Ready tank for simplisty sake even if your going to do FW. Just a thought...
Well, I just found out, with the type of roof that I have, I dont have any walls that arent load bearing. Thats not really that big of a deal anyway, I'm creative enough to make anything work, lol. Whadda u mean a sup system? Also, if I do eventually get an electric eel, are all of the facts here: Electric Eels - Information about Tropical Fish at AquariumFish.net., correct?

·
Registered
1,770 Posts
Whadda u mean a sup system?
I believe she meant sump, as in an extra tank used to store equipment and increase the water volume to make the overall system easier to maintain and the display tank look more natural.

·
Registered
6,072 Posts
Just stoping by to say HI.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts