Aquarium Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey everyone, new member here... beginning by freshwater aquarium, well it's already started for the most part...wanted to get some opinions, feedback, etc

Currently have a 10 gallon tank, filter, heater to keep the temp constant at 78 and the following fish:

3 Mollies (1 Dalmatian and 2 all black)
1 small aquarium shark (White Tip Shark Catfish)
1 Green Spotted Puffer

I have done a lot of research and realize the GSP needs brackish water as it was sold freshwater which a lot of places do...so I am working on a solution to that

In the meantime I have added some aquarium salt and gotten the appropriate food (tropical fish flakes and freeze- dried bloodworms/freeze-dried shrimp for the GSP)

Thanks in Advance for feedback!

PS: moved topic from another forum....the other may be deleted

·
Registered
1,048 Posts
Welcome. that puffer is going to kill all your other fish, you should be aware of that.... one mornign your going to wake up and find a tank of dead fish and a puffer with a big smile on it face. they will gill nip and take big hunks of flesh off of the other fish.... that cat fish is going to get too big for that tank very quickly. My advise to you is to research any fish you want to buy before buying them. It a beginners mistake so don't feel bad. The mollies were a good choice for a ten gal tank but a down side to them is they will very quickly reproduce and fill the tank up with mollies. Mollies can be housed in brackish water, as a matter of fact they like a little salt in the water.

Welcome to the world of aquariums.

·
Registered
98 Posts
Welcome. that puffer is going to kill all your other fish, you should be aware of that.... one mornign your going to wake up and find a tank of dead fish and a puffer with a big smile on it face. they will gill nip and take big hunks of flesh off of the other fish.... that cat fish is going to get too big for that tank very quickly. My advise to you is to research any fish you want to buy before buying them. It a beginners mistake so don't feel bad. The mollies were a good choice for a ten gal tank but a down side to them is they will very quickly reproduce and fill the tank up with mollies. Mollies can be housed in brackish water, as a matter of fact they like a little salt in the water.

Welcome to the world of aquariums.
BWAHAHHAHA!!!!

that was by far the most blunt, out of control thing ive read on this forum.

I think what he means is, you, like me, made a common mistake of thinking you can put everything you like, in one tank. Sadly, you cant. i learned the hardway, but luckily i only lost bout $30 of livestock (fishuz).

dont feel bad, however, and dont let DRichie scare you off from this forum. hes if not THEE most knowledgeable (very active posting) person here, he's in the top 3. (IMO)

·
Registered
1,048 Posts
Was not meant to scare him away or frighten him in any way.... He made a common beginner mistake.... Heck, I made the same mistake when I first started.... the truth is the truth, facts are facts, Puffer are a very interesting fish but they are not a beginner fish of a community tank fish. This is a very flexiable hobby and things very for person to person, but something are what they are for all of us.

So Brett if you read something other than advise in that, I'm truly sorry. The last thing I want to do is scare someone away.

·
Registered
139 Posts
howdy do. welcome to the forum!

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
haha absolutely no offense taken! all constructive criticism in my book!

I am happy to say I have found someone who knows first hand how to begin the setup of a salt-water tank....and will be venturing out this weekend to begin the process for my puffer and columbian shark....how big of a tank is reccomended?

·
Registered
1,048 Posts
I would say look at the fish you want to house..... research them.... You will quickly learn what tank size they require.... Than see if you can afford that tank and everything you will need.. stand lights filter etc..... If can afford that then look at what you can afford and select fish that can be housed in that tank when they are adult size.

Thats the best advice I can give you..... if you looking to have one or two tanks... not like some of us who have house full and tank rooms. I'm personallly in the beginning stage of looking into converting at quarter of my garage into a tank room.... the Garage was built in the 50's to make sail boats so it really kind big... Just my luck right

·
Registered
98 Posts
. I'm personallly in the beginning stage of looking into converting at quarter of my garage into a tank room.... the Garage was built in the 50's to make sail boats so it really kind big... Just my luck right
maybe its time to look at a monster tank. (1000gal+) then you could possibly set up an eco-system, and never ever have to do any maintenence.

you'de be the guy to know if this is even possible, or not.

i could only imagine the cost, but if you built it yourself, whats 5 LRGE peices of glass cost? 2 grand?

·
Registered
98 Posts
. I'm personallly in the beginning stage of looking into converting at quarter of my garage into a tank room.... the Garage was built in the 50's to make sail boats so it really kind big... Just my luck right
maybe its time to look at a monster tank. (1000gal+) then you could possibly set up an eco-system, and never ever have to do any maintenence.

you'de be the guy to know if this is even possible, or not.

i could only imagine the cost, but if you built it yourself, whats 5 LRGE peices of glass cost? 2 grand?

·
Registered
1,048 Posts
You will always have to do some sort of filtration in any tank and refresh the water, because tanks are a closed water system. In nature ponds and lakes have a constant flow of water coming in and come out fed by stream they keep the levels in check... However the the bigger the tank the easier it is to care for, thats for sure.

I don't know I was think 20 20gal lng and 5 30gal breeds to start with but I was talking with a friend about waht would be a good combination of tanks for bussiness propose. My get into livestocks and plant suplies as another source of income...

1 - 13 of 13 Posts