Aquarium Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 46 gallon freshwater setup that has been running for 3 months now. I also have an empty 10 gallon tank that I am planning to populate with some of the fish that are currently in my 46 gallon. I would like some suggestions on what fish i should move to the 10 gallon, and some ideas about fish i can then add to the 46 gallon.

The 46 gallon tank currently holds 1 rainbow shark (4inches), 2 Emerald Corys (2 inches each), 1 julii Cory (1 inch), 2 serpae Tetra (2 inches each), 3 zebra Danios (2 inches each), 4 Tiger Barbs and 2 Albino Tiger Barbs (2 inches each). All the tank mates are very happy and there are no fights or aggression, except typical stuff between the barbs.

I would like to move some of these fish into the 10 gallon, so that i can add some new fish to the main tank. Would the 6 Tiger Barbs and 2 Serpae Tetras be good candidates? or is that too many for that small a tank?

Will the Rainbow shark continue to get along with the corys?

any ideas about which fish to move to the 10 gallon and what i can add to the 46?

thanks for the help

·
Registered
43 Posts
Out of the stocking in the 46g tank i would say the corries and the tetras can go into the 10g but that's it. If you want to add more fish to the 46g try upping the population fo the tigers and zebras to at least 6 of each (6 regular and 6 albino). Thats all you really could have in there IMO. you don't want the tank to get too over populated when the tiger grow out and the rainbow grows. Keep it planted and you should be golden.

-Brandon

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
are you saying that i should have 6 tiger barbs and 6 albino tiger barbs? or are you saying that i should increase the number of zebra danios to 6?

the 4 tiger barbs and 2 albino tiger barbs all school together and i wouldnt want to add more than one or two of those.

i may add the corys and tetras to the ten gallon like you said.

·
Registered
43 Posts
as long as they school then that is fine. yes you should increase the number of zebra danios and i would say even out the numbers of the tiger barbs (or you could add some of the green ones if that's interesting to you). Usually its best to keep them with at least 6 of their same color in case they stop schooling but they probably wont.

As for the corries and tetras they will be fine in the 10g just make sure the substrate isnt too rough and will wear away their barbels!

The only other addition i would make for the 46g tank would be a bigger more aggressive fish to keep the TBs on their tails and in schooling behavior (if not they will probably stray) but don't get anything that will eat them or torment them to death.

-Brandon

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
yes, all of the tiger barbs are schooling together. i do think that adding a couple of one of the other varieties of tiger barbs would be interesting. i also like the idea of adding a larger, more aggressive fish to keep the tiger barbs in check. could you suggest any types in particular? i really like my danios and will definitely add a couple. when i move the corys to the 10 gallon i will buy a couple more of each type to go with them. i am interested to hear suggestions for that larger fish for the 46 gallon. thanks

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
oh by the way, one of my zebra danios is extremely round in the belly,and has been for several weeks....when can i expect to see eggs? how can i tell the sex of the other two? ive posted another thread asking that question.

-garry

·
Registered
43 Posts
i wouldn't expect any surviving eggs. if any are dropped they will most likely all be eater prior to reaching the substrate. I'm not well versed with the sexing of barbs and danios (or any fish other than common like bearers and some cichlids) so i cannot comment but some research might prove to be useful (google search can never fail you!) As for adding more corries i wouldnt add many more maybe fill out the smaller group to 3 or four but thats it. I cannot think of a good fish to keep the tigers in check, but maybe a krib could do the trick.

-Brandon

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
i will check out a krib online because i am not familiar with them. i sort of wish i had avoided the tiger barbs initially because they are limiting my choices and you need to keep so many to make them happy. i just thought of another option: offering them for free on craigslist or freecycle. for some reason i have not grown too attached to them; i like the danios and the corys more. i suppose i am a pacifist.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #11 (Edited)
i was not serious about buying something to eat them...if i wanted to get rid of them i would give them away or buy a 20 gallon for them. maybe i would give them to my friend's turtle.

·
Registered
42 Posts
So you aren't going to buy something to eat them, you are going to give them away to be eaten. Did you actually do any research before you bought the fish? If you had spend even 5 minutes before buying you would have realized what kind of fish you were buying and their needs.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #13 (Edited)
oh my god are you serious?? listen, my friend doesnt even have a turtle, okay? if you read the post it says that i would either give them away or purchase a 20 gallon for them...the parts about buying something to eat them or feeding them to something was a JOKE. the tiger barbs are safe, it is okay. my whole point of joining this forum is to figure out how to reshuffle this tank in a responsible way. i havent decided which option i am going to take yet. this is my first ever thread, i joined the site YESTERDAY. if everybody here is as touchy as you i may just find another. youre awfully sensitive.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #14 (Edited)
thanks for the advice brandon....i hope you realize that my tiger barbs are safe. i realize that i have a lot to learn about aquariums but that is why i am here...

·
Registered
42 Posts
#1 its not a joking matter, not even in the least bit
#2 I'm supposed to know that your friend doesn't have a turtle?
#3 am I sensitive? maybe but then see #1 and #2

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #16 (Edited)
listen, i dont want to argue. im not feeding the tiger barbs to anything and i never was. it is nice of you to take up their cause. i am sorry if i offended you, okay? but this is a public forum and stuff happens. i was just throwing that out there because it mildly amused me.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
there is a new development with my tank....the whole reason i bought the 10 gallon was as a hospital tank. a couple weeks ago petco sold me a fish with ich, it had no signs until the next day. i bought the 10 gallon and put the sick fish in it....a couple others got it in the main tank and ended up in the 10 gallon. i treated the 10 gallon with high temps and rid ich. the main tank i raised up to 89 degrees and used aquarium salt. all the fish in the 10 gallon ended up dying after daily water changes and treatments with rid ich for 2 weeks. that left me with an empty 10 gallon tank and a 46 gallon with the above-listed inhabitants. they had been without any symptoms entirely and spent 2 weeks in the high 80s and i finally started bringing down the temp a few days ago. the temp was down to 79 this morning and i refilled the 10 gallon to start to prepare it for cycling. this afternoon i noticed white spots on the tails of half my tiger barbs. im gonna post this as a new thread and am hoping for suggestions....

by the way, when i went back to petco to purchase the rid ich, i noticed that their whole store has ich now. i just happened to buy one of the sick fish before the problem blew up. i learned the value of a quarantine tank and a reputable dealer.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts