Aquarium Forum banner

1 - 20 of 37 Posts

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
hello people! ok. so ive gone through like maybe 5 tanks when i was younger, and about 2 weeks ago, i started again. i went to a forum, and they said i had to cycle my tank for a month, but i though i knew what i was doing. apparently i did and my 3 fish are still alive. i recently added a cat fish with ick, by accident, but i am even treating him and he has like maybe 2 bumps left!

anyways. thats my story. this is about my tank..
i got 3 fish, a cat fish, a mutated zebra fish (apparently) and i dont no the other. he is a shiny blue,and kinda round. i will post pictures. i have a 5 gallon tank, and one live plant, and one fake plant. that is all.

i do plan on decorating my room, but it is hard to find asian style decorations (staying same style as room)
i was wondering after i post the pics, how many fish do you think i could add? i wanna add the maximum ammount i can (over a long period of time(and when ick is gone)) and can you guys tell me the species of my fishies? my tank looks really sad right now, but it will get better >.<

·
Registered
1,770 Posts
what kind of catfish do u have? when u say "mutated zebrafish" u must mean glofish danios-genetically modified zebra danios. zebra danios MUST be kept in shoals(small shools of 6 or more) otherwise they will be fin nippers. something tells me your round blue fish is a blue platy-see if u can get a pick posted.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
the mutated one, the pet store guy didnt no anything about it, and found him in the filter alone i took the pics, just gotta post them. haha i dont no anything about my fish which is why we are going to do a "name that fish" game here.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
so while we waite, yes that is a blue platy i have >.< anything i need to no about them? and how do i tell if its a guy or girl? i assumed its a girl and named her kelee

·
Registered
1,770 Posts
what color is the mutated one? what was the pet store u purchased it at? the male platy has a pointy back-bottom(anal)fin, like a pencil. a female's anal fin is a simple triangle.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
ok so i got them >.< here is my embarissing tank. i will make it better.

This is Kelee. is it a girl?

This is Iris the cat fish

And this fay the unknown

so u guys no what they are?? well now i know what kelee is :3

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
what color is the mutated one? what was the pet store u purchased it at? the male platy has a pointy back-bottom(anal)fin, like a pencil. a female's anal fin is a simple triangle.
oh ok thanks. yeah fay is like spotted like a cheeta, and has like green arm fins, and kight blue tail fins

·
Registered
1,770 Posts
wow!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! usually when i google "blue platy" in images, all the fish that come up r either blue-gray or silver with a big blue spot near the tail. i have never seen a platy the color of a sapphire like yours. i can't tell if your platy is a boy or girl 'cause i can't see the anal fin. fay is a longfin leopard danio, a subspecies of the zebra danio. fay MUST be in a school of 6 or more 2 survive. i cannot identify the catfish-btw, what pet store did u get this platy from? its beautiful!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
ahaha thankyou >.< its from a store in my town, called critters? i dont know if its anywhere else, but i dont think so becasue it is a family run bussinuse. Oh god. i have no other places that i can get more feys from. i will search hard. and my cat fish will remain unknown :3
so from the size of my tank, and the amount of fish i have, can i get more? i will def have to get more feys. and maybe another kelle?.... and. a Pleco? >.<

·
Registered
1,770 Posts
plecos can get pretty big. many people replace plecos with otos or chinese algae eaters in smaller tanks.

·
Registered
1,770 Posts
i think u should get a bigger tank and get more LF leopard danios and put fey and iris in it, too. leave kelle in their and get maybe 2 more kelles and try breedingthem. who knows? maybe u will have more brilliant sapphire platies!

·
Registered
1,048 Posts
you might want to do some reasearch.... about each fish if you want to breed them.... because you think you know what your doing with the I don't need to cycle comment. Which every tank needs to do.... you just havn't built up enough nitrates yet to effect the fish but now you adding some I expect some change soon on that. I don't know if I should explain about water types, ph, temp. that different fish need for spawning. how some fish will just spawn in general setup, while Killies require more care. So I will just tell you that you need to do research.

·
Registered
1,770 Posts
i agree. hopefully fay can survive by itself until a bigger tank is cycled. if u can't find more fays, look 4 other types of zebrafish. theres regular, longfin regular, regular leopard, golden, starfire, sunburst, and electric green.

·
Registered
1,770 Posts
so the catfish got ich and died...oh well and now your cory catfish has ich...thats not good...

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
yeah my kitty fish died. and yeah the blue one has it. BUT shes getting better i hope. i cant see the pic of the cat fish sorry.

·
Registered
1,770 Posts
kelle has ich, too? keep on treating it and keep the activated carbon out of the tank. hopefully the ick will go away and later u can try breeding that one-of-a-kind sapphire platy if u can find more sapph's like kelle.

1 - 20 of 37 Posts