Aquarium Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Have a 10 gallon tank (and of course now I'm reading that I prob. should have started with something bigger but I'm not overstocking). Anyway, the way the tank is set-up (inside a hutch), it's hard to adjust the current Tetra Whisper filter. I'd like to eventually get a bigger tank and I hear good things about the Fluval external filters (105, 205, etc.) I understand you can understand the flow rate so I was thinking (esp. since local pet store only sells 205 and above) to get the 205 and limit the flow rate? Thoughts? Thanks!

·
Registered
8 Posts
If you are refering a Fluval canister I would think that would be overkill on a 10 gallon tank even though you can't have to much filtration. I would recommend a Aquaclear hob which has an adjustable flow rate. I'm not sure if your fighting a space issue but a canister is much larger.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks. The Fluval was interesting because it also looked easy to access / clean since the top of my aquarium is a little hard to access based on surrounding furniture. I realize Fluval may be overkill but can I slow down the flow enough for a 10 gallon tank?

·
Registered
8 Posts
Yes you could adjust the flow...I would have your lfs order the Fluval 105 and just run it wide open. Also saves you a little money.

·
....has no life....
12,629 Posts
The price between the two (105/205) is minimal. Either way you go you should be fine. You can always adjust flow if it appears to be too much. Just make sure you have the room underneath. HOBs are a little easier to install/operate/maintain, but I tend to like a canister over a HOB. Gives a more cleaner look to the tank.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts