Aquarium Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello Aquaria Lovers,
I just joined this wonderful website hoping to get some advice on my aquariums. I currently have a fifty-five gallon menice of a freshwater tank, a 60 gal for my turtle and goldfish, a five gallon for my clams, dwarf puffer, and baby livebears, and a 10 gal nano that is about nine weeks running. I've been mainly been having problems with the fifty five gallon (it's a hexagonal with a supplied 20 inch hood), but I'm hoping to eventually turn it into a planted aquarium. My other tank, the ten gallon nano marine tank is almost complete (I just have to purchase more livestock and the skimmer) so my main concern is my basicly hideous (emphasis on basic) aquarium. Hopefully I can get some good opinions.:D

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
The one attached picture is of my 10gal nano marine tank, equipted with a powerhead for UG filtration, a power filter, 30 watts (1 antinic/1 full spec) for later when I get some mushrooms and some tube worms. Would anything other corals be able to live in that lighting, like maybe polyps or soft corals? And there is also my fifty five gallon tank. It has angels, guppies, black tets., a clown loach, a trapdoor snail, a plecot, and a blue "lobster." The tank is 20+ inches across and about 24 inches down, so, from what I've read, my tank is too deep for any fluorescents. Considering that I have a tight budget, what kind of lighting should I get? And to increase CO2 levels, should I get arid of my atrocious power filter on this tank. Do I also need any special gravel?

Attachments

·
Registered
97 Posts
Hi and welcome, don't know why that tank should be too deep for
fluorescents. I have seen that deep tanks used for angel-fishes with fluorescent tubes(and reflectors)
I think you have to choose the right plants then.
Maybe someone can tell more about it?

Ron

·
Premium Member
3,108 Posts
You can grow plants without C02 supplementation but it will be better to use a power filter perhaps that's not breaking the surface so much like a hang on filter will.
A canister filter such as the Fluval is good for this situation.

As far as lighting, you can use standard fluorescents, T5 fluorescents, or even PC lighting, there are some great fixtures nowadays that are available. Perhaps look into the "Current USA" line of lighting. Front Page | Current What's Next There are some knock-off brands on eBay that are quite affordable, considering.

Regards

·
Registered
6,072 Posts
Hi and welcome to the forum. Cool pictures.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts