Aquarium Forum banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Regarding the discussion about a new GCASSF meeting location, I checked into the Lauderdale Lakes City Hall Multipurpose Room and found the following:

* Available 2nd Wed 7:30 to 9:30 except for Jan 2009 through March 2009
* Available 2nd Thu 7:30 to 9:30 from Jan 2009 through March 2009
* Room has a 200-person capacity; $15/hr * 2 hours = $30/meeting
* Nonprofit rental rate requires proof of nonprofit status
(bank account statement, etc.) and a letter stating
the purpose of the meetings and the times and dates
requested. Person to contact is Sharon, 954-535-2785,
[email protected].
* Conveniently located close to I-95 - take the Oakland Park exit west, go west to SR7/US441, go north 2-3 blocks to NW 36th St, turn left, and go 1 block west to City Hall.

This location is as close to the exact center of South Florida (Palm Beach, Broward, Miami-Dade) as you can get!

·
Registered
1,048 Posts
Another option......

My only question is other than, we rent flamingo for the fish show and the pond up there, why the discussion to move. Unless we are having problems with the current location, I think we already voted that sunday was bad because members could not make it to sunday meetings. I guess we need to clear up what we are doing. I like the ideal that people son't have to rush up or down after work to get to the meetings. However the cost of changing all the clubs advertizing and signs etc. would be costly.

Anyway I thought we already took a vote on moving it to Flamigo Gardens.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
The Flamingo Gardens location was criticized as being too hard to get to from I-95. The Lauderdale Lakes City Hall Multipurpose Room is very easy to access from I-95 (via the Oakland Park exit). In addition, it is very centrally located, thus maximizing member participation. Finally, it can be rented very inexpensively.

The current location is not centrally located and thus does not maximize member participation within the South Florida area (Palm Beach, Broward and Miami-Dade).

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
The November Tropical Fish Tribune newsletter says that due to a price increase we must now pay $105 per month for two hours at David Park. :eek: Those same two hours would cost only $30 in the Lauderdale Lakes Multipurpose Room. This means that we are now, in effect, being fined $75 per month for every month that we do not move our meetings to Lauderdale Lakes. :angler_fish: In addition, Lauderdale Lakes is very centrally located within both Broward County and South Florida (it's near the intersection of SR 7 and Oakland Park). :fishRed: As a final bonus, the Lauderdale Lakes Multipurpose Room is about double the size of David Park and has a rated capacity of 200 people. :fish-gift:

Time to move! :cool:

·
Registered
1,048 Posts
Bill, I agree with you on the location, and if you multiply 75 times 12 you get 900 extra cost a year. I think that would off set any cost for promotional changes we have to make. I do have a couple simple concern that would be: the safty of the member cars and the member themselves go to and from the parking lot. remember we have a few older members. I don't know ther area thats why I ask. Also, what does the meeting hall look like and are there any perks... AV, sound ect........

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
There is no shortage of security in the parking lot. Firstly, the area is peaceful to begin with. Secondly, the municipal complex is also home to the police department's headquarters, and marked police cars are constantly going in and out 24/7. Regarding the ability of older members to access the location, it is completely accessible - there are a number of elderly members of the Lauderdale Lakes Democratic Club, some in wheelchairs, who attend monthly Democratic Club meetings in that same meeting room each and every month.

The meeting hall is about double the size of David Park. There is a raised stage at one end of the room. There may also be a sound system - I will check on that. The Multipurpose Room gets filled (by city staffers) with the appropriate number of chairs, tables, etc. prior to the start of each event, depending on the anticipated number of people. One of the known perks is that there is a small kitchen room adjacent to the Multipurpose Room and connected to the Multipurpose Room by a pass-through opening. The Lauderdale Lakes Democratic Club uses this kitchen at each of its monthly meetings in order to prepare and serve the snacks and refreshments which are a regular part of each and every meeting.

·
Registered
1,048 Posts
Sounds good to me.... This I feel is something we as memeber need to address at January Meeting. I saw you had info last night so make sure you bring it in Jan. and we can bring it up.... so maybe by march we can decide....LOL

·
Registered
306 Posts
Wish I wouldve made it to the meeting, I was sick tho :( well im better now. Also, finally got my gold veil angels to spawn :) i removed the parents out of the 24 gallon tank that they spawned in and the eggs look pretty good I cant wait to see the babies they will make, very beautiful parents.

·
fishboydanny
584 Posts
great! keep me updated!

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I have checked the stage area and there are two rather large speakers permanently mounted near the ceiling on both the left and right sides of the stage, so there is definitely an audio capability built into the Lauderdale Lakes meeting location. These speakers seem to be connected to a microphone and podium type system. In addition, there is stage lighting, which is controllable by various light switches.

·
fishboydanny
584 Posts
a little off subject, but when is our trip to wattley's discus? I havent gotten any e-mails since before last meeting...

·
fishboydanny
584 Posts
where and when do we meet? where is Jack wattley's discus? any carpooling? My parents may not be able to bring me...

1 - 20 of 28 Posts