Aquarium Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
213 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I got some new fish and wanted to show them..
This is my new Angelfish

This is my Black Ghost Knife, it is hiding behind the leaves and under the rock (you can only see a little bit of its head). It is one of the coolest fish I have ever seen. Also in the picture is my other Angel and my Red Dwarf Guarami.

·
Pleco n bn breeder n BOSS
7,685 Posts
I've raised bgks, they are cool fish, and fun to work with. But as said above they get pretty big. I think 18 to 20 inches in captivity. I have found that you can't keep them for very long with angels and other big bodied fish as one of there favorite pasttimes is eating the eyes out of them. These fish are best kept alone in at least a 75 gal. Can be taught to be hand fed and after awhile you can even pet them. I got rid of mine when it was 16 inches One of the few fish that our local zoo would take.

·
Registered
213 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I did research them and do know all that. However I am getting a 75 gallon some time soon and will transfer it over to that one when it gets to big.

·
Registered
1,048 Posts
I have seen a BKF in the canals here in FL over 3 feet. they will eat everything and anything in a tank. That why I asked. I know alot of people like to buy or can only buy from chain pet stores thats why I ask all the time did you research. I seen and have been asked to leave store because the salesman is just selling fish that can not be housed together or the person just will not be able to keep in a smaller tank. Also I seen these people sell fish to people who just got a tank and its sitting in the cart. Knowing that everyone of them is going to die because of the cycling process and the fact that the tank will overstocked from the word go. They are told to sell sell sell and if they really try and explain things to the customer they lose ther job. I sometimes wish we had stricter laws in the US like they do in the UK. In the UK I read stories and knwo people whoi have told me where fish keepers have been jail for the mistreatment of aquaiurm fish.

·
fishboydanny
584 Posts
black ghost knives dont have any population in south FL....... i think you mean clown knives because BGK dont grow 3 feet long, but clown knives do........ correct me if i'm wrong....

·
Registered
1,048 Posts
Danny there a canal around the corner from my house that I personally have seen one in. the canals in South Florida is a perfect area for them to live in.... deep the right temp cave to hide in .Most of your tropical fish can be found in the canals. Not just the one we go netting for.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts