Aquarium Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
hi all, i have been reading here alot latley and have seen alot of good info, i just bought a new 72 gal. bow, it will be reef, have not bought filter or skimmer yet,it came with 1 T8 48" and ive added 1 T5 10,000K and 1 T5 03 blue,i will add a lot more lighting, thats all they had at the time, i did reef about 10 years ago and have not touched it sense, im sure there are a lot more cool things out now, what can you all recomended to me to get started, as far as substrait, lighting, and filtration, i have some old base rock i am going to start with that i have been carring around with me for 10 years, my previous tanks were 2 10s, 3 55s, 1 75, 3 125s, and 1 240 that i made out of 1/2" plexi i bought here in orlando. i am putting money aside for all the filters i will need so i have time. thanks for the info and ideas you have.. i look forward to talking to you all.....
jeff

·
Registered
264 Posts
hello and welcome. looking forward to getting to know the progress on how things are going with your setup. as for mine it is taking longer than expected:(.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
thanks for the welcome Josie, do you think if i had 8, 4 foot 28 w T5s that would be enough light for soft corals? and what ratio would you go like 6 10ks and 2 attinics? thanks in advance for your help....
jeff

·
Registered
264 Posts
Well Jeff I would love to answer your question but I am also new at this hobby. I have only been in it for about a year and I don't want to give you my advice on that question because I wouldn't be sure myself if my own advice would be correct. But I am pretty sure that one of the head honcho's will chime in with an answer soon on that question. Sorry. By the way those head honcho's are great at answering all the questions you need to learn from. If you ever have a question that my two sense can handle I will be able to answer for you with no problem and you'll see me chime in. TTFN

·
Registered
95 Posts
Welcome to the forums.

8 T5's will be fine for soft corals. My personal preference would be 4 - 10K and 4 Actinic. Or maybe 5 10K and 3 actinic.

Substrate is your own personal preference. I like a short sandbed. Others like no substrate or a deep substrate.

Filtration. I would go with a sump and refugium. For a protein skimmer I have heard great things on the Octopus Skimmers and on Deltecs. (Deltecs however are quite expensive)

Using the base rock is fine, just be sure to rinse it well to get any trapped dirt and other stuff out of it first.

Reactions: hydrojeff

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
thanks for the info guys and gals, what would it take to have some hards in there as well, as far as lighting? or could i gro some of the hards close to the top,or no way?

·
Registered
95 Posts
you can have some hard coral in there the only thing is you will want it with in the top half of the tank. Also some of the soft corals may release toxins into the water column which may end up killing the coral. So i would put any soft coral down stream of the hard corals.

·
Registered
139 Posts
nice to see you here hydrojeff. love the idea of the reef tank.:)

·
Registered
6,072 Posts
Welcome to the forum. It is nice having you here with us all. Have fun posting. Lots of cool people on the forum.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts