Aquarium Forum banner

New 90 gallon, and water movement?

4K views 11 replies 5 participants last post by  Blademaker 
#1 ·
Hi, not new to fresh water, but recently moved into a new house and finaly have room for a bigger tank. I set up a 90 gallon with a canister type filter. The aquarium shop owner suggested this for live plants vs. an over the back type filter to minimize surface water movement to cut down on oxygen transfere for the plants.

The thing is, the way I've got it set up is it has no surface movement and the surface has developed a fine scum, nearly a shimmer. Should I have some surface movement to keep it mixed so that the filter can eleminate it? Rite now I only have 16 tetra's, and a small number of plants. Will be adding more plants very soon, but didn't want to add all at once.

Opinions?

Thanks,

Will

#4 ·
Some canisters have an available surface skimmer attachment that you could get. Depends on the brand.

Also, how long has your tank been running? If the tank is in the middle of a cycle the film on top of the water is normal and it should clear up shortly after your cycle ends.

#10 ·
My last aquarium was a 29 gallon, and an assortment of 5 and 10 gallon ones.

I did use the stress zyme and cycled the tank for a week before putting fish in, and transfere the gravel from the 29 gallon to the 90 gallon one in hopes of keeping as much bacteria as I could.

What I'm talking about cycling, cycling indicates that it needs to be done on a regular basis. After I've gotten other tanks set up they generaly took very little effort to maintain. Especialy with live plants. Want to make sure I fully understand.

Thanks,

Will

#11 ·
Its the nitrogen cycle. It doesn't start until there is a source of ammonia. This is where fish come in or you could cycle fishless, but then you still need to provide a source of ammonia. The fishless way is safer to the fish and you don't need to do water changes to get your levels down if you don't have fish to worry about. Any additive you place in the tank will not matter if there is no ammonia for the bacteria to feed on. This also includes the gravel from your other tank. The good bacteria will start to die off if there is no ammnia to feed off of.

There are a couple of threads that have been recently started by a few of us that cycled our tanks fishless.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.