Aquarium Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey everyone, I posted about a month or so ago in the introduction section, so I'll keep it short. In that post, I asked what people thought about stocking ideas for a 4ft tank, and then ultimately decided on Diamond Tetras and Amazon Puffers. I'm proud to announce that I've set up my new 75g, with about 30lbs of Fluval Stratum (both regular and bio) and a light sand cap. It now houses the former inhabitants of the 45g I had in that place, which currently includes 2 Blue Gouramis, a Clown Pleco, 4 Neons (more on them in a minute), around 10 adult Mollies and some fry, a bunch of baby Mystery Snails, one Nerite, and an Amano Shrimp that I have no idea how he's evaded the Gouramis this long. All of the substrate, decorations and plants I had in the 45 moved to the 75 also, and there's been no detectable hit to the nitrogen cycle, even though the filter itself didn't get switched to the 75. I of course dosed the tank with bottled bacteria when I moved the fish.

The 45 now has 3 Comet Goldfish my kid won at the fair last month, we had them outside in a tote until we freed up the tank.

My questions are;
1) Knowing my final stocking will include the Diamonds and Puffers, is there anyone I should remove before getting them? I'm looking at the Gouramis in particular...
2) How many of each should I get. I'd like to do as many of both Diamonds and Puffers as possible.
3) I know Neons (and most shoaling fish) like to be in groups of at least 6, but I've had awful luck with Neons (originally bought about 18). Should I get like 6 Cardinals, or just let them be?
4) Plants. I need advice for some easy to keep plants. I have some Anubias, Java Ferns and duckweed right now.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Is there a relatively easy carpeting plant I could look for?

Also, I have some questions about my gear. I got an Aqueon 950 (I think, going from memory) that says on the box it's rated for 75g, but the flow seems a little extreme. The tank is ultimately for the Amazon Puffers, and from what I've read they need a lot of flow, but as soon as I turned it on plants started getting ripped up. Should I just wait for them to get settled in before I start running it? Did I get the wrong powerhead?

The flow also seems like a bit much from my Fluval 407, but I seem to remember that being the case for my 207 at first as well. At any rate, I'm just wondering if I have the right gear. I've seen some tanks that seem to have very little flow compared to mine with the fish I want and they look fat and happy. I do have another use for the powerhead if it's in fact too strong for my use.

I also did get a nice Aqueon Optibright+, so I think I have plenty of light, but I have no plans of doing CO2. Is it better to run the lights at a lower power for longer, or at full power for a shorter time?

·
Pleco n bn breeder n BOSS
8,319 Posts
Can't you adjust the flow on them. You might try having them pointed to glass until plants take root. Most ground cover plants require high light and co2. You might try crypt parva 0r crypt mioya, both are low growing and don't require co2. Buce plant.com carry both and you can get tissue culture no snails or algae.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Can't you adjust the flow on them. You might try having them pointed to glass until plants take root. Most ground cover plants require high light and co2. You might try crypt parva 0r crypt mioya, both are low growing and don't require co2. Buce plant.com carry both and you can get tissue culture no snails or algae.
Unfortunately, no, at least not on the power head for certain. It's AC. I know my 207 doesn't have any flow adjustment, I just assumed that the 407 would be the same. The filter itself will be fine I think, especially since I packed 2 compartments with filter floss, so I expect the flow to dramatically slow. I'll probably just leave the power head off for now and let the plants get good and settled, then I'll do some experimenting with positioning.

I plan to go crazy with snails so hopefully I don't need to set up a dedicated tank for them, at least for a while, so I don't mind getting some freebies with plants. I will definitely check plant.com out though, thanks.

On the note of snails, would it be feasible/make sense to get a hang-on-back refugium/grow out box to grow snails out in? I was thinking something like this Fluval breeding box.

·
Registered
164 Posts
Staurogyne repens can have a nice carpet effect as long as you trim it. The awesome part about this plant is you can replant the cutting. I'd probably remove the Gouramis. In other day plants cryptocoryne plants are nice.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 · (Edited)
Ok, I've spent the last week or so doing research, and contemplating the next phase of this build. I've made a few decisions.

1. I'm backing out on the puffers.... for now. All of the other fish I really want are from slower moving water. I still really want a shoal of puffers, but I can wait 5-10 years if I need to.
2. I've already got a large snail population started, so now what to do with them? I'm thinking Zebra Loaches?
3. I think the Gouramis are staying. They're showing the best color I've ever seen on them, though that might be from the nice light, as they've been under cheaper ones the whole time I've had them. And I haven't seen much aggression from them in a long time; a couple of weeks before I moved them I think was the last one.
4. I've picked out a few plants- Dwarf Sag, Radican Marble Queen and Red Flame Swords, and Jungle Val from Aquarium Coop. Suggestions?

So final tentative stocking is currently:
10 Mollies + whatever fry survives (already have)
2 Blue Gouramis (already have)
4 Neon Tetras (already have) (open to try Cardinal or other kinds of small Tetras for a larger shoal, though I don't know if it's even worth it with the Gouramis in there)
1 Clown Pleco (already have)
? Diamond Tetras (looking for suggestions)
? Zebra Loaches (looking for suggestions)

I was thinking 8 or so each of the new species. I'd like more obviously, but I don't want to overstock. I'll likely have to order the Diamonds online, but I've seen the Zebras at the LFS before, so I'm sure they can get them in for me. I'd welcome recommendations for alternatives as well, or additions if you think the tank can handle it. Any advice on plants is also welcome.

Thanks

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I found AqAdvisor (stocking list linked) through Google, messed around on that for about a week, did even more research, and ordered all of the plants that I listed in the last post along with some sponge prefilters, root tabs and fertilizer. Then, I pulled the trigger on 12 Diamond Tetras and 6 Emerald Green Corydoras. I got the plants today, and just a little while ago got the shipping confirmation on the fish. I have a 20h ready to go for quarantine (sans a lid, lights burnt out on the old one so I ordered one on Amazon).

On the site, they warn that the Gouramis would be too aggressive for the Tetras. I'm going to try it, and if it doesn't work out I'll be purchasing a 40b for my 2 twin tail Goldfish, and putting the Gouramis in the 29 they're currently in. I plan to get the 40b anyway, as the current location of my 45t isn't very good at all for it, and I need the space where the 29 is for it. I plan on selling the 29 + stand and equipment, with or without the Gouramis.

Also, it said I had insufficient filtration until I added a "user defined" 10g filter (meant to be the sponge prefilter). Does anyone think I'll have filtration issues? I do weekly 10%ish water changes, and service the filters when I notice the flow start dropping off. An easy way for me to identify that the flow is lessening with a canister filter, is to put some kind of air bubbler in the path of direct flow from the return, and note where the bubbles generally get pushed to.

Anyway, I have a picture incoming.

Edit: here it is-
Water Pet supply Aquatic plant Fish supply Plant

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
More plants is in the plan, just don't have the cash right now for more. I'm also thinking about putting the canister return on the other side of the tank, but I like how the wood hides it. I think I'm also going to pull that power head out, I don't think I need it now since I'm not doing puffers anymore.

For the plants, would you do more of the same, or get more of a variety?

Also, I am sad to report that I lost 2 corys in quarantine. They were the smallest of the bunch, and the rest all look fine, so maybe they just got too stressed out from shipping? Water checks out, no ammonia or nitrite. I used Aqua Essential and Stress Coat+ from API to condition the water, so even if there was, it should be ok for the fish still, right? Like if there was a spike overnight before the biofilter caught up or something? I'm new to this, so I'm chalking it up to inexperience on my part, no fault to the seller I'm sure. I should note that I took old filter floss from one of my goldfish tanks and add it to the filter in the quarantine tank, plus added Quickstart

My question on that point is: Should I find a few more corys of maybe a smaller species to fill the number back out? Or leave it at 4? Either way, those will probably have to wait until these fish are out of quarantine.

Ooo nice tank! I like the wood piece, it's a big one. +1 to more plants
Thank you, we originally got that piece of wood last year at Petco for our 29, it barely fit in there!

1 - 11 of 11 Posts