Aquarium Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
133 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I have a new 60 gallon tank.
I will have the following stock in it...
2 x angels
2 x bala sharks
2 x skirted tetras
4 x sunburst mollies
2 x dwarf gouramis
1 x paradise gourami
1 x 3" rubberlip pleco

The pleco I have had for 2 years, he grew really fast in the 10 gallon I started with, and when I upgraded to my 30 gallon, he stopped growing.
Will he get any bigger? Should I invest in another small breed pleco?

I don't want a "common Pleco", Those get way too big! I just want a little guy that will max at 6"

The little 3" pleco was sort of lacking on keeping certain spots of algae under control, would that are be "out of his territory" or did he just forget it?

Would it be better to get a small school of otos (maybe 4?)

I could really use some advice! Thanks!

·
Registered
23 Posts
The Bala sharks will quickly outgrow that 60g tank. I have one at the moment that is pushin 11 inches in a tank by himself. My suggestion would be to re-home it.

Plecos are not strict algae eaters. They need to be supplimented with food or they become stunted and malnurished. I feed mine Zuchinni that i have blanched and removed the seeds, squashes, sweet potatoe that i have blanched, green algae sheets, and algae wafers as well as sinking carnivore pellets.

·
Registered
21 Posts
I've got a couple bristlenose plecos that stay smaller and do a good job in my 75. I liked otos in a 25 gallon tank, but it seemed like when I had them in the 75 that they hid a lot. Also, full grown angels may think otos are a snack.

·
Registered
133 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
thanks for the response Jabbott!
and plecos aren't fussy with eachother? (meaning.. they wont fight for "territory" or anything of the sorts?)

·
Registered
21 Posts
The worst they do is swish around at the other to tell them to leave sometimes. I have a male and a female, so they're starting to court occasionally. I need to get a long cave for 'em. I've heard of folks getting cute baby bristlenoses.

·
Registered
133 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Baby bristlenoses would be adorable :)
I have a rubberlip, would he (or she.. not sure the gender) get along with a bristlenose?
I found a man selling a 5" male bristlenose for 20, obo...
what would you pay for a 5" male bn pleco?

·
Registered
21 Posts
I've only had one rubberlip and he fought with my kribensis pair over territory constantly for a couple days. I thought they'd work it out, but he died first. I assume he'd be fine with bristlenoses, but I really don't know.

Bristlenoses are slow growers, so a 5 incher may be worth the 20 bucks. Since they'll breed at 3 or 4 inches (and cost a lot less), the bigger one isn't worth it to me.

·
Registered
23 Posts
No need to be snappish nobody hinted at anything about your knowledge. You asked.. I answered. If you didn't like how I responded you should have ignored it.

I merely advised as I would advise anyone about the plecos' diet if I read "The little 3" pleco was sort of lacking on keeping certain spots of algae under control, would that are be "out of his territory" or did he just forget it?" in a post that also asked if he would grow any more without notating its type and diet. The pleco I have had for 2 years, he grew really fast in the 10 gallon I started with, and when I upgraded to my 30 gallon, he stopped growing. Will he get any bigger? Should I invest in another small breed pleco?

·
Registered
133 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
without notating its type...
i did... 1 x 3" rubberlip pleco

i wasn't snappish. just letting you know that how you responded to me was not appreciated.
i never asked for advice on what to feed my pleco, i asked if i should invest in another pleco for algae control.

·
Registered
132 Posts
Chaetostoma (rubberlip) is not a large pleco and 3" might be all you get. You could get a few more in the 60.

If they have separate territories (cave-like structures of wood or rock) then you could have an Ancistrus (BN) in with the Chaet. Ancistrus will typically get bigger than 3". I have had a male BN that was extremely territorial and fought with my calvus repeatedly over a certain shell that they both liked. I finally had to remove him because it was stressful for both fish.

You'd just have to wait and see.

Also, JMO, but I'd not get a catfish as a solution for algae, but rather, get a catfish because you like catfish and provide them the proper living conditions for them to be happy. Algae can be dealt with in other ways. It is absolutely true, as above, that they need to be fed in addition to any algae eating they might do, and they do less as they get older.

·
Registered
133 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Yeah,
I really like Plecos and I think that they are really spectacular, entertaining and aesthetically interesting. I wouldn't get a pleco for strict algae eating reasons, it is a plus, however.

I have found a gentlemen selling a 5" bristlenose pleco (male), as well as 3 smaller albino BN plecos... he wants $20 for the 5" male.. is that a fair price?

·
Registered
132 Posts
I personally would not purchase a 5" BN. This means this fish is older and, though they look spectacular, it might be at the end of its lifespan. My LFS won't give me much money at all when I bring in older fish, and it makes sense, even though it has been an expense for this guy to grow this fish out to this size.

I'd definitely try to get some babies and let them grow up in the tank and sort out territories while young. There will be less strife that way, I think.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts