Aquarium Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
newbie to sw
55 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi everyone! =)

A couple of months ago I unexpectedly purchased a 50 gallon tank. Since then I've added a fluval 305 filter, 4x65w pc lighting (2 antic, 2 10k- Must of been tired- I thought they were t-5's =/ )50 lbs of live sand, 40 lbs of rock, cycled it and added a clean up crew (Random snails, crabs, sand sifting and serpent starfish) and now I'm ready to start adding fish and need some ideas. The different things I've been considering are a Blue Tang Hippo, a Spotted Garden Eel and a Valentini Toby Pufferfish. Not necessarily together, but in general. I'm under the impression that if I added the Valentini Toby Pufferfish that it will eat the snails, crabs and starfish. Is that correct or am I mistaken? It seems like the tank is (once again) too small for everything I really like so if anyone has any ideas of something I might have overlooked it would be appreciated. Should of held out for a 100 gallon. lol.

·
Registered
29 Posts
How's it going? Well, I'm not a professional by any means, but I'm under the impression that all puffers will eat inverts in your tank. I have seen a boxface puffer successfully kept with small inverts and when I asked how I was told that as long as you keep it well fed then it "might" not mess with your inverts. I definitely can't give any guarantees though and I would wait for more replys from more experienced aquarists.

Also, I don't think your tank is big enough for a Spotted Garden Eel. A Snowflake Eel is more suitable for your size tank.

Again, I'm not nearly the expert, but in my opinion a tang needs a little more room as well.

It sounds like you want a FOWLR tank. Have you looked at any of the lionfish? I've also been a fan of the Longnose Hawkfish.

That's all I can think of off the top of my head. Hope I helped.

·
newbie to sw
55 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Yeah, that was the impression I am under with the puffers too. I acciently posted this twice and someone said they can also be pretty aggresive.

According to BlueZoo 50 gallons is the minimum for a spotted garden eel, but the gentleman in the other post also said it wasn't big enough, so I think I'll reconsider that as well.

The Tang was a mistake. I've looked at so many different fish, I think I might be more confused than when I started. Lol. I noticed after I posted it that they need a minimum of 75.

Thanks for the suggestions. I'll take a look at them. =)

·
newbie to sw
55 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Ok. I'll look there too. Thanks! I went to the lfs earlier this morning and they actually have a longnose hawkfish, so that might be a good thought. I didn't know what it was until I just looked it up.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts