Aquarium Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi Folks,
I'm setting up a 50 gallon tank that I plan to plant heavily and then add German blue rams (Mikrogeophagus ramirezi). I imagine I'll go with one male and two females. An emerald green Cory is currently the sole occupant. Is this Cory going to be a good tank mate for the rams? I don't plan on breeding, but if eggs are laid I'd like the chance for the eggs/fry to survive. Would the Cory eat the eggs?

So, one, should I keep the Cory in this tank? Two, what would be other good members of a community tank with blue rams as the stars? I'm working toward relatively soft, warm water, with low pH. So I'm thinking in addition to the rams:
Scarlet Badis (Dario Dario) two or three
Red Cherry Shrimp two or three
Some schooling Tetras like neons, rummy-nose, or cardinals about a dozen
Any comments, corrections, or suggestions?
You can follow my progress (or lack thereof) here:
fwaquarium.blogspot.com

Thanks in advance!
David

·
Registered
38 Posts
Good choice with the blue rams. Those are one of my favs! As for tankmates, your list seems pretty nice to me.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks Alpo, I'm very excited. I just visited my LFS and will like place my order soon. Would you think the numbers are about right?

Good choice with the blue rams. Those are one of my favs! As for tankmates, your list seems pretty nice to me.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks for the welcome WD! I am enjoying myself here.
Regarding plants:
I've ordered the 36 discus plant assortment from aquariumgarden-
The plants are selected to tolerate discus tank environment conditions, specificaly - higher temperatures up to about 85F. The plants we include are a collection of several anubias species, hygrophila species, anacharis, hornwort, rotala indica, wisteria, java fern species, amazon and ruffle swords, and also some dwarf hairgrass.
I hope they treat me right. The plants should arrive Monday.
I'll provide pics and a narrative at my blog here: Aquarium Blog
Do these plants sound about right to you? I'm thinking blue rams and discus have similar water requirements?

1 - 4 of 4 Posts