Aquarium Forum banner
21 - 27 of 27 Posts

· Registered
133 Posts
Discussion Starter · #21 ·
Can somebody help me find Nitriafin bug Bites food for Color enhancement it's got Soldierfly I can't find the exact stuff the one AquaMalik guy is using to feed his Plecos unless they changed the container from 2 years ago.

· MOD
9,081 Posts
Zebra pleco isn’t demanding in terms of food. Unlike common catfishes, the fish prefers protein food. Though you can offer it both vegetable and protein food.

You may use peas, boiled lettuce leaves, cucumber, squash etc. as supplements to the diet. Almost all types of dry and frozen food will do as well. It is desirable to feed when the tank lighting is off, since this catfish species is a nocturnal one.

I don't think your dwarf hair grass will do for them as they require warm water like discus but also fast-moving water. Need wood that they can rasp on

· Registered
133 Posts
Discussion Starter · #26 ·
Talking to pkr210 __ See, I disagree with that because there's a you tuber who claims that you need fish over head so the Zebra plecos will feel safer, and he has proof that he keeps tetras with them. AquaMalik or something like that I wouldn't keep much fewer than 10 in a 55, but I would use more powerful filtration. I am thinking that it is technically possible to keep them in a 20 gallon tank minimum with 4 like an article told me. I know plenty about Zebra Plecos (probably enough to successfully keep them alive and happy enough for a good deal of time), but because of the lack of rocks in my aquarium, I think I will try a bigger setup of 40 gallons in the future with these guys, yea I know somebody said something about that.

Talking to SparkyJones__ Okay. I have about a month before the cycle is complete. My tap water is so heavily chlorinated that I can smell it. I think it's a bad option. Don't you? RO water is cheap. Let's see, where else can I get water.... Does petco sell water? um. Where can I get non-RO water?
My pH is 5.0 or below in less than a week because of the driftwood. Too dang soft for Zebra plecos anyway. I'm going to stick to the Orinoco river basin and continue with the Cardinal Tetras, and the German Blue Ram maybe. It's not like I'm being impatient with the Water Cycle in the new tank, I fully intend to wait at least another month. My ammonia's on the rise, right on schedule. It's green on the test kit I have, so I can't tell where it's at. I might think about adding more of that Quickstart stuff.

Isn't 82-80 degree fahrenheit technically too warm for the plecos, like the temp for breeding? I think the norm is 78-82, something like that. I don't feel like frying the fish to death, considering the insane heat. This is very controversial, and I like it.

Hmm.
I really don't think it's okay to just say that all of these fish will do fine in a pH of 7.0. The cardinal tetras and German rams, they're supposed to be in softer water like, 4.0-6.0. I understand that the Zebra plecos will do just fine though. I am most definitely not thinking of the falso Columbian Zebra pleco. I WANT TO SEE THE STANDARD BLACK AND WHITE ZEBRA LIKE LINES, you know? Hypancistrus L046! the true one, you know? I honestly am very knowledgeable about basic aquarium keeping, so please don't bother telling me stuff like this pleco is from that part of the water, and this pleco is from that part of the river. I'm just trying to see if they are compatible, because technically, you can keep the pleco with Cardinal tetras even though they're part of different river systems! I also am very well aware of their habitat. I know a good amount of the basics because I do watch youtube and read basic articles. My mind is changed slightly. I'm only keeping the aquarium up for less than 3 years, so I think the Cardinal tetras are a good point. I also want the Blue German Ram. Of course I can start keeping these fish even if I don't know what to feed them yet, because the aquarium cycle isn't done yet and in that time I can figure out what to feed them. I really don't know what kind of water to use for the tank. Is there like, a nutrient additive I can use in the RO water? aren't the nutrients mainly for plants?

I have heard of Whiptail catfish and those species came to mind, but I thought they might be just too long for a 20 gallon. Maybe I should research these guys? They probably don't have the same diet as the Cardinal Tetras though.

Sparky Jones, I know basically most of the information in your post, but thanks for the stuff I didn't already know, which was just the fact that the false pleco is $60.00, and wasn't really the type of fish I was looking for anyway. But I might want to take a quick look at em, they look promising, nonetheless.

I didn't really have too much intention to breed Zebra plecos, but thanks a million for telling me most places won't sell id'd females.

New thought: can I just keep 1 Zebra pleco??

Quote Reply
Here's some new info from a different forum. - My pH dropped to 5.0 or below though.

21 - 27 of 27 Posts