Aquarium Forum banner
1 - 20 of 27 Posts

· Registered
133 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello. I began a 20 aquarium two days ago. It is intended to be an aquarium that is based on Amazon River fish. I started a different thread because I was worried about chlorine threats to plants, but the issue was resolved shortly. Do not post there anymore. I set it up with 0.5 inches of black flourite seachem sand. I did get some plants that are within the 3-8 inches tall range from Petsmart. I don't think they're very accurate. I also got two pieces of driftwood. One has already been in an aquarium. The other, I immediately placed in the aquarium because I want tannins. I may have forgotten to wash it, I now realize. The plants are the following from petsmart so you can look it up online: 2 sets of Dwarf Hairgrass, Lobelia Cardinalis, and I bought something with Java fern on the package but it said 3-8 inches tall so I don't really know what's going to happen. I have a standard sponge filter in there that I purchased from a LFS as well as the pump. Being new to this filter, I ended up purchasing the tubing from Petsmart because I forgot the tubing at the store. I have a full spectrum aquarium light for plants that came in a green and black package. I filled it with R.O. water that came from a cub foods grocery store. I used 16 gallons. The other four are for a water change. I plan to do 20% (four gallons but this is a 16 gallon tank cause of decor issues) water changes weekly every Wednesday. I also got a heater, and I'd say it works fine. Everything is brand new--except the used driftwood piece. The temperature is intended to be 79 degrees, but I set it to 82 Fahrenheit.

The introduction is now out of the way. Hooray. You now know everything about my aquarium, except the water quality.
I haven't tested it yet because it's brand new, quite literally. I still need a thermometer strip.

Please inform me of the localities of each of my plants. I believe somebody knows this off the top of their head, I am lazy, don't want to conduct research on google. Are they all compatible? I purchased two java fern or whatever they are, but I got three I think........................................... because one package had two.

My intentions for this aquarium was to allow it to cycle until it reached the desired ph range. This falls between 5.0 and 6.0. That is because I want to keep both Cardinal Tetras and Blue German Rams. I also want to try to add Zebra plecos. I just realized that they need a higher ph. They are now out of the question, unless there is a way I can put them together. This makes me sad. I was intending to keep Cardinal Tetras regardless of the occasion. Nobody is going to stop me, but they can help me out. I want to keep a school of 5-7. I will originally get 7 at first because some might perish due to stress levels. I'll keep them all anyway. I may consider getting Black German Rams instead. I assume there's no difference?

I just found out that Petsmart incorrectly labeled Lobelia Cardinalis. Please correctly identify it, unless it is.
I might otherwise consider a Dwarf Apistogramma of some species too. I don't think they are Amazonian.

What would you do with this aquarium? Is there anything wrong with what I did? Shall I test the water (there's really no reason to at this point because there's no fish but I should start in three weeks unless I have to the whole cycling process)? Shall I sue Petsmart ($10) for incorrect labeling of plants lol? Are there problems I should be aware of? Please help me figure out my stocking with what I want. Will there be any diseases that these two species might contract (not too important)? Seriously, do you have suggestions for stocking, or leave as is? What food works for both of these fish? Do they really need live food if I want to keep them happy?

· MOD
9,081 Posts
I wouldn't worry about suing Petsmart. They get plants that most of the time are not labeled right and lots of times not even aquatic. Java fern is an amazon plant. I would suggest searching google for plants from the Oronico basin.
Then look at buceplant.com to purchase what you want, or check out Ebay

· Registered
133 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Okay. I will look at google (Thanks susankat). Anybody got any more information that I am looking for? Susankat, you got info? Got any suggestions other than cories? I am now looking to see if I can add 1-5 guppies in the tank as well during the cycle period. Are there concerns with that? Please give your opinions, I'd be happy with any. I'll look at those plant sites, but I already bought plants from petsmart. I meant I have dwarf hairgrass. If you look at the petsmart website and search Lobelia Cardinalis, That's what I got in there on the driftwood, I am not sure if it's a good idea? I wanted it to grow over the driftwood. Also, I have a ruffled sword plant, and some weird lookin fern of some sort that I haven't managed to ID.
My bad, they (guppies) have a higher pH requirement. Shoot.

· MOD
9,081 Posts
Fish from the Oronico River basin include Endlers, angel fish, most cories, blue rams, different zebra plecos, which I wish I could get the L046 but the price is out of my range.
This is what I had as Lobelia Cardinali . On wood I would use Anubia or a fern.
Plant Leaf Terrestrial plant Vegetation Grass

· Registered
133 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Dang them Zebra plecos cost a Losing lot. ......................... I'm thinking I am willing to spend $350.00 on a super nice L046 triplets, looks like I might try to breed them make some cash off the LFS dang dang dang those things super pricey what the Dangit I'd rather buy discus what the what the what the Dang dang dang didn't look at the stupid price tag what the wat? $150.00???????????????????????????? FOR ONE?????!?!?!?!?!????!??!?!?!!!?!!?!??!!??!?!??!!?? WOT? (don't report me please I'm expressing amazement at the price tag on these dudes didn't swear really). I really don't want these dudes to die though They live pretty long for the price tag 10-15 years they really gonna live that long with my help I hope. Anybody know if they are actually compatible with Cardinal Tetras and maybe a guppys?

· MOD
9,081 Posts
Dang them Zebra plecos cost a Losing lot. ......................... I'm thinking I am willing to spend $350.00 on a super nice L046 triplets, looks like I might try to breed them make some cash off the LFS dang dang dang those things super pricey what the Dangit I'd rather buy discus what the what the what the Dang dang dang didn't look at the stupid price tag what the wat? $150.00???????????????????????????? FOR ONE?????!?!?!?!?!????!??!?!?!!!?!!?!??!!??!?!??!!?? WOT? (don't report me please I'm expressing amazement at the price tag on these dudes didn't swear really). I really don't want these dudes to die though They live pretty long for the price tag 10-15 years they really gonna live that long with my help I hope. Anybody know if they are actually compatible with Cardinal Tetras and maybe a guppys?
I would make sure to match their parameters, guppy's need high ph so if you plan on zebras leave guppy's out as zebras ph 6,5 to 7.0, sand substrate, warm water and highly oxygenated, lots of caves. lots of water movement.

· Registered
133 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Are there fish that are compatible with Zebra plecos that work well living through the cycling process 'cause I'm feeling a bit bored with an empty tank lol? I want cardinal tetras. they need a very cycled aquarium too though.

· Registered
133 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
I have a powerhead I put in a 55 gallon once. It's probably not too effective. Will it affect the Cardinals that I plan on too? I have some Dwarf hairgrass in the back too. I should probably get a 15 gallon powerhead. Forget the fish in cycling process.

· Registered
133 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Thank you. My last concern is that I am aware that Dwarf Hairgrass can be affected by a slightly strong current. Perhaps maybe I will get a powerhead for a 10 gallon aquarium, because I really don't want to actually disturb anything that doesn't need to be disturbed, but I do want to disturb the detritus build-up in the tank so that it can be picked up by my sponge filter. There's Hairgrass in the back and off to the front left in the aquarium. I need a strategic place to put the powerhead.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts