·
Registered
935 Posts
Reactions: KMoss

·
I CHANGE WATER
8,440 Posts
Discussion Starter · #127 ·
Good video,thanks K.The fry are all well and the male is still seperated by eggcrate.I expect they will become free swimming anytime now(video said 3 days).Mom has been doing a great job and I can see their little tails wiggling very quickly(although they're going nowhere).When they become free swimming I will post pics, but for now here's another shot of them on the slate.

Here's a FTS with the male.

I lowered the water so the fry will have an easier time findin mom,when I changed water yesterday(removed 20g added 10G).

·
Master of Algae (THE MOA)
552 Posts
removing the male: another solution that was just too easy to go without trying. im glad it worked for you! ill have to remember that trick if i ever get into breeding discus.

Reactions: coralbandit

·
I CHANGE WATER
8,440 Posts
Discussion Starter · #129 ·
so this a.m. the fry were all off the slate.None were on or near mom!I was able to find 3 or 4 on the bottom of the tank and they were alive,but who knows for how long?I will for now assume that some do remain alive somewhere in the tank,but really can't vac out waste now.I'm also not real sure if they will find food or not?
So this went better than all the othertimes,but it still seems some learning for the fish and I is do.
If I see the fry I will post and fr now(maybe a week) I will keep te pair sperated,but when I determine there are no fry I will remove eggcrate and be repared to start over again.

·
I CHANGE WATER
8,440 Posts
Discussion Starter · #130 ·
Yesterday I decided there were no fry in tank(I searched with flashlight from under tank{the benefit of no substrate}) ,so decided to pull the eggcrate and change some water.Eggs are on the slate today!It appears they are back in swing and I should have ample oppurtunity to attempt anything reasonable to get some fry.
I guess the eggcrate goes back in and I will pull the fry as soon as the hatch(while still on slate).

·
Registered
628 Posts
Hoping this is the batch that produce surviving fry, Tom!

Thanks again for sharing the experience with us.

·
Registered
1,095 Posts
Just playing devil's advocate here but do you think all the egg losses are making you jump in too soon. They have only had one chance with fry and I believe your fry will be better off if they can get some of mommys milk to start.

·
I CHANGE WATER
8,440 Posts
Discussion Starter · #133 ·
The very last time they all hatched and stayed on slate for 3 days ,with mom doing an appearently wonderful job of tending them.But on day 3 of being wigglers they left the slate only to go God knows where in a 55g aquarium,with mom doing nothing that I could detect.I did see some fry on bottom the first day,but she payed no attention to them at all.So I figure I have a weekly shot at trying different things then before.I'm fairly sure the parets are "maturing" and gaining better skills,but possibly I could help the fry?Maybe I get the blame on this bunch?
I already sepereated the male today,hoping for a repeat of last times tending and hatching sucess,but not so sure mom will tend the fry?Maybe on day 3 of fry being on slate(if we get there this time) I could let the male back to help with the fry as in previous attempts(the first round) he did tend the fry the one time they hatched.
I just feel like trying something/anything to get better results?

·
Master of Algae (THE MOA)
552 Posts
nothing else...
you have made it this far, so you could always try raising the fry artificially. its not as great as having the parents do their job, but at least you end up with some surviving.

·
I CHANGE WATER
8,440 Posts
Discussion Starter · #136 ·
So I know I've mentioned before that as soon as you think you can predict mother nature she will surely prove you wrong.All eggs are gone this a.m.The male was seperated so this only leaves the female as the culprit this time.
Possibly truely ignoring them(besides maintenance to the water) is the best option?They clearly have something going on together and me messing with them may not really be helping.
On a whole different approach,I'm pretty sure that another pair has formed amongst the 7 still in the 180g,and possibly placing them in the 55 with the eggcrate will bring on "a little competition"?
My reading did indicate that the presence of another dominant male can often lead to better parenting habbits.Soooo?

·
Registered
628 Posts
Like I told a friend at work recently..... 98% of the time man messes with nature, we screw it up.

I have a female duck that build a nest in one of my flower beds every April. She sits on those eggs for days and days, rarely going off to eat. First year I tried to feed her some bread thinking she must be starving. I apparently seemed a threat to her and she flee off for days. Thought those eggs might die off but the turned out fine in the end.... lucky for me! Never have tried to feed her any year since.

And don't get me started on the great frog experiment in Australia! ;-)

·
I CHANGE WATER
8,440 Posts
Discussion Starter · #139 ·
Ya I would have to agree that as a general statement we mess things up more than improve them.Discus have survived and bred long before I got into the mix.For now I try to keep my messing with fish to the other 745 gallons of fish I have(sounds like a BIG waterchange day!{can't go wrong there})

121 - 140 of 169 Posts