Aquarium Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
New Member Manager
689 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
In my 55g, I kept four guppies in there among many other fish. I had four, now I only have one. When I first got them, they were fine. Two days later, one developed some sort of stringy like growth. It is hard to describe but I will try my best to describe it. I is like a tree branch, but it has a white-ish color. I looks stiff, meaning that it doesn't wiggle or move too much. It is small too; each "branch" is about 1-3 mm in length. It looks like a tree branch with no leaves and I have no idea what it is. It grew through the gills of the first guppy. She was a female, and I quarentined, and closely watched her. She seemed to have no energy - just resting on the substrate with little movement. She was not eating, and was her breathing was on the shallow side. A couple days later, one of the males mysterously died in the 55g tank. He seemed to be doing fine prior to his death with no signes of disease. The female died shortly after in the quarentine tank. All was well for a short while. Two weeks later, I find another male guppy dead. Wierd. Another day later, (today,) I find that the last guppy I have, which is a female, has the branch-like growth, but this time, it is growing out of her back instead of out of her gills unlike the first one. She is acting wierd though. Not like she always does, but she is eating. All other fish are doing great.

I need your help, I have no idea what this strange illness/condition is.

·
Banned
1,148 Posts
never heard of this exact thing either , my first inclination is some type of parasite, but may be some kind of weird, bacterial. if they are in a community you may be best served to treat with a general medication designed for both but be careful of scaleless fish like catfish and corys also wait for a few more opinions

·
New Member Manager
689 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
After studying it, it looks a lot like anchor worm. I dont have access to getting proper fish-medical supplies, so I dont know what I am going to do. Im in a state of panic because I dont want my new 55g tank to get destryed. I have aquarium salt, melafix, pemafix, and a few doses of marycn 2. How much salt should I add? I have cory's in there too. What should I do?

HELP! PLEASE!

·
Banned
1,148 Posts
If this indeed anchor worm the only effective treatment i have come across is potassium permanganate, as this varmit will if it hasnt already done so infect your entire tank. you need to follow the label directions carefully as with all medication. and it will color your water. However the alternatives dont seem good. There may be other remedies out there, Anchors Away comes to mind. but you need to get on it.

·
New Member Manager
689 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I just read up a little on potassium permanganate. Where can I get it? I dont think the LFS has it, and ebay will take a good week for it to come in, HELP ME. I dont want to see my beloved tank compleatly fall over on me, it happened once before in my 30g and I lost all of my beloved fish. Wont potassium permanganate stain everything? including the ornaments, decorations, and even silacone in the tank?

Im screwed and panacing.

HELP.

·
New Member Manager
689 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Well I called up this guy I am in aquantince with who works at the LFS. This place is an aquatic-deticated store, so EVERYONE knows what they are talking about. I spoke with him for 10 minuetts or so about my huge problem I have on my hands. He compleatly understood, and recommend me to buy Hikari CyroPro. He said he used it, and it works wonders. He said that potassium permanganate is hard to find, and that it is extreamly easy to overdose. This store is a VERY reliable source for everything aquatic related. Its called Exotic Aquatics and its located in Parkeville, MD. Close to Baltimore, MD. The directions state that I have to do a 90% water change weekly and to dose weekly after the water change. Do this three times; once a week, for three weeks and you should be anchor-worm-free. Lets just pray that this will work.

·
*blackback butterflyfish*
208 Posts
wow that is crazy! good luck...hope this stuff works for you and your fish!

·
Registered
15 Posts
I have potassium permanganate if what you are doing doesn't work. I have experienced anchor worms before a long time ago and I hope I NEVER see it again! Pretty much killed a large stock of expensive plecos and a number of show guppies! Just PM me if what you are doing still does not work. I believe Dimilin also works by interrupting the mating practices of anchor worms hence breaking their life cycles. Good luck with your battle.

Reactions: MediaHound

·
New Member Manager
689 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Thanks Meili Harrison. CyroPro is a great treatment. I have another two weeks of dosing, and after that I will let you know how everything still is. I have heard, however, that potassium permanganate dies everything in the tank a blue-ish color, including the silicone seals...

·
Registered
17 Posts
Sounds like you have got this licked but if not or it happens again and you want to avoid thechemical route there are options.
1) Add salt. Guppies are very tolerant of brackish water and by creating a brackish environment you can disrupt the worms life cycle. This will not harm the worm while it is inside the tissue of the fish but will be harmful to the juvenile (free swimming) form.
2) Temperature control. The timing of the worms life cycle can be altered by manipulating the temperature. If you have fish that are tolerant of extended bouts of cold and you hae the ability to do so maintaining a tank at 16 to 17 degrees C is likely to disrupt the life cycle (Die as juveniles). Or by increasing the temperature (above 20 C) you can increase the rate of the life cycle thus encouraging the juveniles to enter the water column faster.
The worms ideal temperature is 20C and at this temperature the life cycle is aproximatly 25 - 30 days in length (from egg to laying eggs).

The take home message here though is no matter how well things look like they are going on any treatment with these guys do not treat for less tahn a month minimum.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts