Aquarium Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello everyone,
I want to buy some Neon Tetra and patiently wait for my newly planted aquarium to get to the right chemical balance to introduce them.
I read various advices on how to introduce them in their new tank. Since I am a beginner I am not sure which one I should follow...
I would like to ask; is it true that the water of the bag should never been mix with the auqrium water? Have you got any tip on how to introduce them safely? I would hate to see them dying!
Thank you

Corinne

·
Registered
258 Posts
what are the parameters of your planted tank? You will want to make sure the tank has cycled completely before adding the neons to the tank.
Neons work the best in groups of 6 or more.

·
Premium Member
3,108 Posts
Neons are very sensitive to ammonia so like John suggested, make sure your tank has cycled already before adding them. Make certain it has an established bacteria colony in the filter to process the waste in the water.
Regarding mixing the water, stores use chemicals and medicines and things you may not want in your tank. Especially if you have live plants or inverts such as snails, they may be very sensitive to chemicals from the store. Also the store water will throw your parameters slightly off balance, more so with a smaller tank.
A good way to introduce fish is to float the bag to make the temperature equal. Then, take a clean cup and scoop some water from the tank and pour it into the bag. Do this several times, waiting several minutes between each cup, so the fish slowly gets his water mixed and equalized with the water from your tank. Another method is to drip water from your tank (after the floating process) into the bag with the new fish. You would use airline tubing and place the new fish bag on the floor (in some big container to catch any spills) and tie the airline into a knot to regulate the flow. The slower you acclimate the fish, the easier the transition and the better off they will be.
Any questions, just ask! Enjoy your new tank and welcome to Aquarium Forum!

·
Registered
81 Posts
Frequent water changes are always good for these little guys.
They can be very picky about their water quality so keep an eye on your water properties.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts