Aquarium Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
116 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello,

I've had my Betta fish for 4 months now and it's been doing very well until today. The skin has cuts and wounds in a few places. I do regular water changes weekly and sometimes a few days a week.

My 10 gallon tank is over populated with other fish and plants. I have:
- One bronze cory
- One siamese algae eater
- Two male guppies
- One male platy
- One female platy
- Six baby platies (half size)
- Three Tetra Serpaes

At first I thought that he got into a fight with the serpaes because they don't like each other very much, but the wounds are too big for that. They also usually avoid being close to each other to begin with.

I am posting some pictures for reference.
I just removed the carbon filter and added "API Pimafix antifungal fish remedy"
I also noticed the ammonia was at 0.5ppm so I added a new ammonia absorbing bag. I also have something for potassium.

Any help is appreciated
Thanks

I am trying to post pictures, but I think i won't be able to

·
Registered
15 Posts
I too have had Bettas that have had cuts on them and what I found out is that they are from rubbing on sharp plastic plants or other sharp objects in the tank. Pimafix is a good cure but I would also check to see if there is any sharp plants or objects in the tank. My bettas love to lay on the plants that I have. I do not suggest putting in those fabric type plants because they seem to attract algae really easy. Hope this helped a little and take care of those Bettas.

·
Registered
216 Posts
0.5 ppm ammonia is a problem. For an established tank ammonia should always be 0. Do you have a kit to test nitrite and nitrate? If so what are those numbers? That's a big bioload for a 10 gal. You may want to consider running more filtration, removing some fish, or getting a bigger tank for the future.

Is the betta eating okay? Does he appear to be swimming around okay or is he lethargic? How do his gills look? Are there any red streaks on his body (does he look like he's bleeding)? I'm not sure anti-fungal medication is necessary yet. Can you post a picture of the fish?

If you have a spare tank or a hospital tank i would advice moving him until he can heal. Other fish will pick on him if he's injured. Even fish that you would consider to be passive. You will have to do a lot of water changes (maybe even daily or 2 times per day) to save him.

I'm sure others will chime in with more and better advice. Hang tight, if your diligent you can probably save your fish. Good luck.

·
Banned
1,323 Posts
I have posted an answer to your post in the betta section and will reserve this post as a welcome post as it should be here in this section.

I do want to welcome you and hope that you will like it here. We do try very hard to help people with their problems and questions with their tanks and fish. Thank you for joining us and helping to make our forum a better place.

Rose

·
Registered
1,770 Posts
Welcome to the site!(following rose's order)

·
Banned
1,323 Posts
Oh I did not mean not to give answers if you want to but my answer was already on the betta forum so i did not want to rewrite it all over. If you want to add something by all means do it.

Rose

·
Banned
1,323 Posts
It is on the left side of the page. Or should be as it is on my page.

Rose

1 - 10 of 10 Posts