Aquarium Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am looking to get a few plants for my 36 gal bow front. I have a 48 watt T5. I would like some stuff in the back ground that has some color other then green, it would also be nice to have a small low growing plant with some reds or other color. Any input would be great.

·
Registered
756 Posts
Look up Rotala and cryptocoryne in google images. The first is a decent background plant that can easy be cut and re-planted as it grows. The other is a foreground plant that adds unique color and "shape" to a planted tank. It also forms small trailer plants that can be cut apart from the parent and re-planted.

·
Registered
2,608 Posts
Alas, not going to be able to do much by way of color with your current lighting. The crypts will be a viable option for a splash.

·
Registered
43 Posts
LOL Here we go again with the T5's. I totally agree with Dmaaaaax. U can keep a wide range of red plants in that setup. I am growing a number of red plants under a 2 bulb florescent in a 46 gallon bow front which puts out half the lumen's the T5's do. I would suggest the Cryptocorynes, Alternanthera Reineckii Var. Roseafolia, Ludwigia Natans or Palustris, Nymphaea Stellata, Red Rubin Sword, Kleiner Bar Sword. I am sure I will think of some more but this list is a good start. The Cryptocoryne Petchii would be your best bet for low growing plant with some color.

·
Registered
2,608 Posts
Just saw this from your other thread "2x 24 watt T5HO". It does change things a bit as you are putting out a higher spectrum into the tank. One other thing that I would recommend (if you're not already doing so), would be to look at dosing ferts to include Iron as well.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts