Aquarium Forum banner

1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
ok i have some questions...maybe some prety dumb ones...anyhow. inside my filter unit i have 2 filters one is that blue kind and the other is some kinda corse black material. now the guide that came with the tank says you should change the filter every 2-4 weeks...are they talking about the blue one? they sel them at walmart for pretty cheap. the reason i ask is that i have read that changeing to a new filter will get rid of your bacteria and create a new cycle....but isnt it true that if that filter gets nasty as all get out it will cause messed up water quality? please hlep me understand so my fish can be happy again!

·
Registered
21 Posts
You don't have to change out the filter like that. Just rinse in the tank water that you remove during water changes. They don't have to be sparkling clean like new, and doing it this way saves you money and saves your bacteria.
yeah i do that about 3 times before i put a new one.

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
so what is it? change it or no...everywhere i read i see 50%/50% change it and dont change it and talk about losing bacteria...i changed it last night after i got the answer...did i just mess with my cycle? im tired of this tank being jacked up..and my small tank with my fish in it getting worse. can i just get a straight answer?

maybe i will just drain the whole tank and start over....nitrite is of the charts for 3 weeks now

·
Pleco n bn breeder n BOSS
7,685 Posts
Look at it this way, everytime you take out the old you are taking out your beneficial bacteria. This is causing the tank to go into a new cycle.

If you do want to change it out, if there is 2 pads in the filter, just change out one at a time, that way you are at least keeping 1/2 of the bacteria.

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
i didnt change both filters just the first one..the more corse black one has not been changed/cleaned in about 5 or 6 weeks when i first messed up. if by changing this filter i just started a new cycle i might as well just kill the fish right now because it wont be long and both tanks will be jacked up so bad they are dead anyways. when the big tank i have first got all out of wack i had no choice but to move the fish to another tank after losing 3 fish in one night. the only other tank i have is a 10 gallon. so i have 4 barbs, and 2 loaches in it..way too many fish in that tank and its starting to get bad even with constant water changes. the big tank is going on 3 or 4 weeks i have hornwort in it, 4 danios that dont seem to mind the nitrite at all, driftwood with some kinda plant in it, and i have done water changes out the wazoo and nitrite has not moved. i dont know what to do and my fish are suffering

·
Pleco n bn breeder n BOSS
7,685 Posts
Do you have any amquel +, I would dose the tank with that, it will still show a reading but it will help nutralize (sp) (to early) to where it isn't harmful. Take some of the gravel out of the smaller tank and put it into a nylon stocking and set that under the uptake of the filter. Since the other tank is going bad due to so many fish I would go ahead and put the fish back into the big tank. but make sure the water is at the same temp.
Put the filter off the 10 gal and put on the bigger tank also. Leaving it on there a couple of weeks. Keep doing water changes at least every other day. Do not mess with the filters during this time.

Also what size of tank is the bigger tank?

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
they are clowns about 2 inches long...i bought them before i knew how large they got. im gonna go get some amquel on the way to work

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
i lost 2 more barbs today...did a water change and added amquel+ wont be long and all will be dead....im about to give up

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
i still have 2 loaches and 4 danios in the 38gal the 2 barbs died while i was at work. at about 2am i noticed my albino barbs gasping for air at the top so i put them back in the 10gal tank with some fresh water. the loaches seem to be fine and danios couldnt care less what you do to the water.

·
Registered
28 Posts
do you have well water or city water??

If you have well water and it stays pretty constant you can do some serious water changes to drop the level of the amonia and nitrites. If you have city water you definitely need a declor product to nuetralize the chlorine and or chlorimnes in the city water supply.

Have you ever thought of just buying a fully cycled sponge filter?? Or if you have any cycled tanks you can just add your filter to that tank and in a couple weeks it will have a nice amount of bio building and with a very low load on it will get you going.

Really there is no reason to have to watch your fish die.

Are you in florida??

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
do you have well water or city water??

If you have well water and it stays pretty constant you can do some serious water changes to drop the level of the amonia and nitrites. If you have city water you definitely need a declor product to nuetralize the chlorine and or chlorimnes in the city water supply.

Have you ever thought of just buying a fully cycled sponge filter?? Or if you have any cycled tanks you can just add your filter to that tank and in a couple weeks it will have a nice amount of bio building and with a very low load on it will get you going.

Really there is no reason to have to watch your fish die.

Are you in florida??
im on city water and always dechlorinate before adding the water to the tank. i just have this chronic high nitrite level thing going on.....ammonia is zero, nitrates are at zero, and nitrites are sky high. i wish i could help them out some way but nothing i have done has fixed this. im in georgia btw

1 - 20 of 34 Posts