Aquarium Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Snowmonkey
36 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello

Next Fall i will be going off to college, and need some advice on the move. I live in northern Minnesota, and plan on attending either the University of Minnesota, or the University of Kansas. the U of M is about 300 miles away, and KU is about 750. I would like to take my aquarium with me (currently a 10g with 2 kribs and an albino pleco, yes i know its going to get too big....), or at least the fish.

I was hoping to upgrade when i move away, maybe to a 30-40 gallon tank.
I question is, i dont know anything about aquarium equipment. i got my tank as a christmas gift, and it was the walmart special beginners setup tank/filter.

I need some advice on what brands are good quality, yet still affordable to a college freshman.

Also, how would i transfer the fish that far? The u of m is about 4 1/2 hours away, and Ku is about 12. Is it even possible to ship fish this far, while keeping the water the same and everything?

Having asked that, and in case i upgrade earlier than expected, what is the proper way to transder the inhabitants of one tank to a new one, safely?

Ive got some time to work everything out, but any advice/tips/insight would be helpful

thanks,
Mo

·
Zippy
57 Posts
Something you may want to think about before you purchase a 30 or 40 gallon tank is any weight restrictions that the university dorms or apartments might have. Once you find out where you are accepted (good luck BTW) you should confirm that you can have the tank. It would be better than hauling it all the way there just to find out you can't have it.

As for affordability, you could check Craigslist for used equipment. You will need to research the items listed and it is best to see the products in person and ask lots of questions. It takes some work for you, but you will save $.

·
Inspired.
138 Posts
Are you living in a dormitory or an apartment? I don't think you'll have much room to keep a fish tank if you live in a dormitory. Instead, you can keep a small (maybe 1 or 2 gallons) tank on your study desk with one or two fish inside.
Taking fish on a 4.5 hour ride is probably not a good idea, but definitely plausible. You would probably want to put the fish in a bag (like the ones that the fish come in) with less than a handful of the gravel from your fish tank. Make sure you've gravel vacuumed the area that you take the gravel from. The gravel will have the necessary bacteria that will process any ammonia that results from fish waste.
You will also want to keep this bag in an insulated container to keep the temperature somewhat constant.

·
Registered
199 Posts
I think for a long trip like that you would be better off with a 5 gallon bucket.
Bags just don't seem to hold air long enough.
When we moved a 55 gallon tank we put the fish in a 5 gallon bucket and bagged up the gravel in freezer bags. All told it took about 5 hours. For a much longer trip you might have to consider periodic airation and possibly taking precausions to keep the fish warm.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts