Aquarium Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

· Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Jus bought a 29 gal and I want it to be planted but I’m struggling to decide what substrate I should use. Aqua soil (not that available) or potting mix( readily available but I’m not sure which one to use) any suggestions?

· Registered
133 Posts
I'm not sure if I saw familiar posts. I did the same thing with a 20 gallon high, but I immediately proceeded to put Black flourite Seachem sand in it. try making sure you have enough for 2 inches of sand though. I would go to your LFS for any kind of soil you might need like the sand I just bought. It's readily available in those stores and even at Petsmart.

· Registered
133 Posts
If you are planning on a sandy substrate, it is recommendable to use a protective sponge over your filter in order to prevent sand sucking damage. Sand typically lacks nutrients and can compact easily. If you opt for Pool filter sand, I recommend fertilizing the plants while you set the tank up. You can hide a layer of gravel underneath the sand to increase water circulation, which is the main aspect to be concerned about. The lack of water circulation in your tank can lead to dead spots, which leads to the build-up of detritus, which leads to the increase of ammonia- which spells D-E-A-D F-I-S-H! An airstone or sponge filter can increase the amount of circulation and oxygenation in your aquarium. Not all types of Pool filter sand are safe for your aquarium. Please note that Pool filter sand does not mean all types of Pool filter sand is safe. SUSAN! Quartz or Silica based sands with no additives are best. They are also cheaper than regular aquatic soil. I believe that your local pool supply shop can confirm that the sand is safe for your aquarium. The ideal size is the #20 grade. These sands are identical to your aquarium. Usually, they are white or beige. I would argue that it's safe for use based on this information I picked out from an article for a shorter read. Here's the link: Can You Use Pool Filter Sand as Aquarium Substrate? Now I know all this stuff. I feel smarter already! Do you? I agree with Susan, but she didn't provide enough information about the sand, which is my concern. Pool sand! Let's go get some random bag! I don't think that's logical.

· Registered
133 Posts
Noice. Like it real nice angels. Makes me jealous I don't have my own building for fish. You can hide sand under sand, just a friendly tip. Pool filter sand: Make sure it's compatible with aquariums. There's more than one type of Pool filter sand, but I guess it's meant to filter out stuff from pools, not aquariums. It's still usable as Susan mentioned. Go for it. Other types of soil are good, but just a bit more pricey.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts