Aquarium Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Fish CrAzY!!
197 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Okay, so yesterday I went to the store in search of a new little fishy friend last week I came and noticed a fish that didn't look like the others at all it was obviously not a goldfish and it wasn't a rosy red or fathead minnow because its tail was round and it was completely see through. I asked the person working there what it was and I told her that it clearly wasn't a minnow or a goldfish and her response was just "that's a baby goldfish" hmmm...... then yesterday I went and asked and a different person working there just said it was a minnow. So I paid the 12 cents and rescued the little guy from being eaten up by a bigger fishy (he was from a feeder fish tank):fish-in-a-bag: took him home..and now I really want to know what he is he is doing wonderfully and eats like a piranha*pc . Oftentimes pet stores order hundreds of feeders and they often have some little mix ups i'm thinking he is a male lease killifish http://farm3.static.flickr.com/2121/1525375071_d226db0be6.jpg?v=0 thats exactly what he looks like he is less than an inch long see through and has that body type. When I first got him I thought he was a guppy because thats something that would be easy to mix up in a feeder fish tank but not i'm fairly sure. I will get pictures up as soon as I can if you could try to help me figure out what this little guy is that would be wonderful :fish-in-bowl: WOW that was a lot of typing LOL!!!

·
Fish CrAzY!!
197 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Well, i'm not sure about a sword tail because he has no coloring, just completely see through and also, i believe all male sword tails have a "sword" (correct me if I'm wrong). I noticed that at the store they always have new guppy fry but they don't sell female guppies is it possible they may have put there females into a feeder tank? I'm really stumped because I just can't find anything that looks exactly like him

·
Fish CrAzY!!
197 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks for the info.! he appears to be growing by the second LOL so that's probably what he is! What fish in general are compatible with sword tails?

·
Registered
756 Posts
Take more pictures as he matures. Some of these live bearers can change sex from male to female when conditions are right and there is a lack of females...which is why I had that in quotes above. So if he is a swordtail it may grow out or he may change sex.

They tend to do good with other live breeders like guppies, mollys, platys, danios, and minnows (red clouds). They can also do well with tetras but tend to prefer slightly higher pH to breed and harder water than tetras that tend to prefer slightly lower pH and softer water to breed.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts