Aquarium Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
590 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I recently purchased a Black Moor goldfish to add to my 75 gallon tank. I have 7 fish total in this tank. 1 comet, 3 orandas, 2 shybukins and 1 black moor.

The problem I am seeing is that the black moor just can't swin fast enough to get to the food before the others hog it all down.

I've been putting sinking pellets in for the others and then adding floating food for the black moor - this has helped a little bit but still not enough. Then I was concerned about him eating at the surface. I thought I read somewhere that they shouldn't feed at the surface for fear of taking in too much air in their bellies.

What do you all suggest I can do to help with this problem. I've thought about secluding him into a separate container at feeding times but feared that might cause undo stress on him.

Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks

·
Registered
478 Posts
I kept goldfish for awhile, 2 fantails and 1 black moor. The black moor definitely had a harder time getting any food before the fantails did, as he didn't swim nearly as fast. Some of the trouble with moors is that they cannot see the food as easily either because of the direction their eyes focus. LOL I've actually seen where the pellets will hit him in the head and he still can't see it! The comets and shubunkins are a more streamlined fish and probably swim even faster than either the orandas or black moor. How large are your fish? If they are in the 2-3 inch range (not counting tails) you might try larger pellets, like 2-3mm. Once the other fish get a pellet, it will take them awhile to "chew" up the pellet before they are ready to grab another..this may give the moor a chance to grab one. OR, maybe try feeding the moor separately at the other end of the tank or even hand feeding him some. Hope this helps.

·
Registered
590 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I've been scooping him out into a tupperware bowl - he doesn't even seem to notice that I've scooped him out - and I let him eat all he wants in his own private space and then I slowly release him back to the main tank. He really doesn't even seem to notice that I am doing this so I don't see any stress.

He's able to eat his fill this way. Its just more work and time consuming for me but I have to do what the little guy needs.

All in all - its working out quite nicely.

·
Super Moderator
8,277 Posts
I think pulling him and feeding is not only better for him ( ensuring he eats) but great for you to to bond as well.

Reactions: L.West

·
Registered
590 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I feel good about it because I dip the entire bowl in the tank and the current just sorta pulls him into the bowl - I really don't think he even realizes he is being caught LOL.

It is amazing how hard a time they have eating - even when he is all alone he has trouble finding his food - its as if he is blind.

·
Registered
19 Posts
I have one telescope-eye in a tank full of fan tails and she has the same problem. They definitely cannot see very well. When the tank lid is off during cleaning she comes up to be hand-fed, but she doesn't come up during "normal" feeding times. I might have to try your scoop-into-a-bowl method!

·
Registered
590 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Hi AuntyFe - I've been scooping him into a tupperware bowl for quite a few weeks now and it is working great. Yes it takes a little extra time but he at least gets to eat his fill in peace. I set the bowl on top of the tank and feed the others at the same time. When he is done eating I simply lower the bowl back into the tank and he swims along. It just breaks my heart when I put food in the large tank and he can't get one single bite:)

·
Registered
71 Posts
I love what you're doing with your moor. I think all the telescope eyed fancies have a harder time seeing food and they're often poor swimmers if they've got any tail finnage at all. They kind of waddle more than swim. I've seen people using floating bowls, or colanders that they scoop the fish into and leave in the tank while they eat separately. It might be another option if you get tired of wiping up after the bowl sits on top of the tank. Nice work!

·
Registered
590 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Yes, its going very good. Just takes a little more effort on my part but he is worth it. Just the cutest little guy. When I offer bloodworms I hold the cube in the water for him to nibble before releasing it for the others to devour - he enjoys that too. The post about mentioning that they don't swin they waddle is soooo true :)

Reactions: fishlips

·
Registered
71 Posts
Yes, its going very good. Just takes a little more effort on my part but he is worth it. Just the cutest little guy. When I offer bloodworms I hold the cube in the water for him to nibble before releasing it for the others to devour - he enjoys that too. The post about mentioning that they don't swin they waddle is soooo true :)
Water waddlers! LOL

·
Registered
590 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
With a heavy heart today - I lost my black moor today. He has always had a hard time eating and I believe he was blind. I did what I could to feed him separately but I guess it wasn't enough. Even when he was in a separate feeding dish it seemed like he still struggled to find the food. The other day I noticed he wasn't acting right and each day he seemed to weaken - and today, he passed away. Very disappointing - Godspeed to my little buddy!!!

·
Registered
590 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I really thought I could keep him alive and well with the hand feedings and separate container feedings but he just struggled all the time. I honestly think he was blind. The poor little guy just couldn't get to his food well at all.

All other occupants of that tank are fine.

·
Registered
478 Posts
Awww, so sorry for your loss.

·
Registered
19 Posts
I really thought I could keep him alive and well with the hand feedings and separate container feedings but he just struggled all the time. I honestly think he was blind. The poor little guy just couldn't get to his food well at all.
Sorry to here you lost your fish in the end. You did a great job caring for him. If he was struggling to eat maybe there was something wrong inside. Breeding fancy goldfish for defomities like the telescope eyes comes with other deformities on the inside.

Not being able to see the food should not stop the fish eating well when the food is provided. My blind gold moor has trained me to hand feed her. She lets the other fantails have a free-for-all, then she repeatedly swims up to the surface until I get the timing right and release some food right in front of her mouth.

Enjoy the other fish, and know you did your best.

·
Super Moderator
8,277 Posts
Sorry to hear you lost the little guy. We all know you did everything you could to ensure the little guy was happy and healthy, and take comfort in knowing he went to you, who cared enough to recognize his shortcoming and offer help than someone with no experience, where he would have most likely been miserable.

·
Registered
590 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
I won't get another one of those. They just need such one on one care when they are in a community with others. He was a sweetie though.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts