Aquarium Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This is week 6 of the fishless cycle of my 60-gallon. About 10 days ago, my Ammonia levels went to 0 and my NitrItes went to 1. I was thinking that my cycle was only days away from completion. 10 days later, I still have the same readings (Ammonia=0, NitrIte=1, NitrAte=10). I am using API test kits.

Any ideas on how to get this thing to finish its cycle? I'm ready for some swimmy things in the tank. :)

Thanks a lot, folks!

·
Inspired.
138 Posts
You just gotta be patient I guess. Are your nitrates increasing? How much ammonia do you add (what is the ppm reading)? As long as you keep adding ammonia, your tank will finish cycling sooner or later.

·
Queen Platy
932 Posts
Are you using the strips or the liquid tests? Strips are very very inaccurate. I agree with choy that I think its the ammonia problem :p. It seems like you dont add enough ammonia during ur cycle. Because your nitrAte readings are low. Did you keep the ppm reading of your ammonia at 5ppm throughout the cycle? After a fishless cycle, the nitrAte reading will be very very high because of all the ammonia and the nitrIte that was broken down. It seems like either you did water changes during your cycle or you never added enough ammonia. You need to keep adding ammonia to keep the ppm at 5 through the cycle until you hit a nitrIte spike then you slow down on the ammonia drops.

Tell us how you did your fishless cycle, like how much ammonia you added this day and that day and etc so we might find out where you messed up.

Reactions: SeaNote

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Ding, Ding, Ding - I think you've got it. I think I slowed down my ammonia additions too soon. My ammonia was at 2 pretty consistently throughout, until I saw the NitrIte spike. When I saw my ammonia at 0, I assumed the cycle was just a day or two from completion. I think I may have pulled back on the ammonia too much. My NitrAtes never got above 10. I'll correct that situation immediately. Thanks so much.

BTW - I am using the liquid version of the API tests.

·
Queen Platy
932 Posts
No problem, try raising the ppm of the ammonia higher on your next cycle, it will speed up the process of the bacteria growing along with higher temp and light. Finished fishless cycles usually end up with 80-160 ppm of nitrAte. So therefore thats why they do a large water change at the end of the cycle.

·
Registered
291 Posts
lmao Nurse Platy love the siggy, and a fishless tank cycling ? doesnt that tend to make things take a lot longer ?? I like using feeder guppies to start a tank off .. typically in the end i can use them for other things like feeders for other fish

1 - 6 of 6 Posts