Aquarium Forum banner

Native tank help

1K views 1 reply 2 participants last post by  Adjuster 
#1 ·
Hey everyone!

I’m not here. Just set up a native tank in my dining room. Bluegills and pumpkinseeds. We have had them for almost 2 weeks and they are doing great. All 55 gallons of water came from the pond I got the fish in. I’ve done a water change and they are getting used to me. They come up to the glass all curious but freak out if I move fast. I wonder if they will ever be chill like our discus

The only issue is feeding. They hammer worms, and that’s great, but it’s not sustainable long run as an only good. They DESTROYED sweet peas one night; ate 2 peas each, then just bailed on them, started spitting them out.

Problem is they only hit stuff that sinks. I’d love to know what others with local fish do for food

ANY native advice would be appreciated

Best

Drew

#2 ·
Years ago I kept several green sunfish, also called rock bass, in a tank along with a few bream. I actually put a pleco cat along with several crayfish in the tank as well. Cray fish (2) were about 2.5 inches long and I had made them several caves they could live in, the fish never bothered them even when they were out of structure even though the green sunfish could have easily eaten them. I fed them live redworms, freezed dried earthworms, mealworms (both live and freeze dried), freeze dried crickets, tadpoles and live mosquito fish. There was also the occasional trip to the local pet store where i purchased feeder guppies and canned river shrimp. For some of the food that wouldn't initially sink I could change the aeration of the water to where the floating food was pulled downwards and the fish would eat it before it went back up. They eventually learned to eat any freezed dried foor that floated as well. It just took time. The green sunfish ended up being 5-7 inches long, the bream 4-5 inches. It was a 75 gal tank. I kept it in the garage so they did encounter winter temps but not as bad as if they were actually outside. I had them about five years before they developed a disease I couldn't cure and they all died.Now on a side note, it isn't legal in all states to keep native fish. It all depends on how you acquire them. Fishing and netting usually isn't allowed, buying a large quantity from a fish farm to stock your pond usually is and there is also getting a permit from your state Dept of Wildlife which is usually obtained for biological studies. You should check with your state's regulations, if you are concerned about such things.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.