Aquarium Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi Folks,

New to all - had aquariums as a kid forty some years ago.

Lately - I've been captivated by Aquascape videos on YouTube for the past several months and I'm contemplating taking the plunge. I've got a Waterbox Peninsula 25 in my shopping cart and I believe I want a pair/trio of Apistogramma Borellii as my centerpiece in the tank. I realize I have a long road to get there but I just wanted a bit of a sanity check on my plan. I picked the "Opals" as they seem to be one of the smallest peaceful Cichlids I could find. They also are reportedly easy to care for and tolerate a wide range of tank conditions. I realize my 25 gallon tank is not huge but space is limited for me.

I want a heavily planted scaped tank using wood and rock - lit by a Fluval Plant 3.0 LED Nano. I plan on using one of the planted "aqua-soils" for the substrate. I'd like to choose easy to care for plants that might be suitable for the "Opals" while being native to the Americas. The tanks mates would be Nerite Snails, Amano Shrimp, Otocinclus Catfish, and a reasonable sized school of small Tetras or Danios.

I've seen that tank temp should be kept as low as practical to inhibit algae growth - so I can think I can go a bit lower than the 78 degrees I'm most familiar with. I plan on using CO2 and one of those water sterilizers to help as well.

Any thoughts, insights, or suggestions most welcome.

Thanks.

Regards,
Scott

·
Registered
8 Posts
You can literally keep 25 of them in a 25 gallon tank in any water you want. 5ph-8ph 50-90 degrees they just need stable water, they are social fish too. I’d get like 6 b/c I think they are social. They are super peaceful too

·
Registered
8 Posts
Don’t do a high tech tank because it dosent favor to the health of the fish. I would do a clay or mineralized substrate or dirt capped in small gravel as substrate becsuse aquasoil is becoming more cardboard than actual soil nowadays. If you get a nice leaf litter bed a group of the borelli (literally any apisto can live in 20 gallons) then like 20 tetras and 8 otos you would be good then you can get water lettuce and floaters (a must) and like hornwort stem plants fern sand make a tank like mine. I don’t do water changes and I have no nitrate no nitrite no ammonia and it’s been running for 6 months now. Don’t just over complicate fishkeeping it makes it not fun and remember it’s fish keeping not plant keeping.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Do no heater and do 6 corydoryas paleatus 6 peppered otos 6 apisto borelli and then like 20 coldwater tetras. 38 nano fish in a 25g is completely fine. Otos have almost no bio load

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Do no heater and do 6 corydoryas paleatus 6 peppered otos 6 apisto borelli and then like 20 coldwater tetras. 38 nano fish in a 25g is completely fine. Otos have almost no bio load
Hi...

Thanks so much for the detailed responses and nice looking natural tank. After I posted - I noticed the forum didn't' seem very active so I was a bit skeptical if I would receive a response.

I'm taking all your suggestions on board and I'll see what I can do - I have much to learn - as apparently the hobby has changed greatly over 40 years.

I was originally attracted to German Blue Rams but the specs state they need pretty hot tanks which would promote algae - also noted that they are reportedly temperamental and hard to keep. It seems you would agree that the Opals are a good choice for a beginner with a Nano Tank ? Any other Cichlids in the size and behavior range that I should consider - trying to stay way from anything larger than 2.5 inches or so.

Here is where I first found them - I like the sites that include detailed information on the fish.

Thanks again.

Regards,
Scott

1 - 6 of 6 Posts