Aquarium Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi, i just started a nano reef tank (29gal biocube) now, i just noticed a mysterious dark brown colored crab with white bands around the legs and white pointy "feet", he's also covered in hair....:eek: neone have an idea.....????
thanks.....

·
Registered
259 Posts
wouldnt be concerned, could have come in a piece of rock, if you really dont like it, trade it with your local fish store, or sell it...it can only be beneficial unless it starts picking at corals...

·
Registered
14 Posts
Could this be a Teddybear crab, also known as a gorilla crab or a Hairy Crab? Teddy bear crab on Flickr - Photo Sharing!

This is what mine looked like, but this isn't mine. I squished both of mine (accidentally), although I do have to say that people will tell you to get rid of it...and I won't. I had mine a long time. Neither got above 2", and they did not harm fish, inverts or anything else. I did feed them krill pieces to keep them satisfied. I believe this assisted them in being more reef safe.

Your description does not sound like a hairy crab/teddy bear crab or gorilla crab (all 3 being the same thing). It would help, greatly, to see a photo of it.

·
Registered
8 Posts
I agree with fragglerock, I wouldn't be too quick to get rid of it. Crabs can be bad but it is more on a per specimen basis than even a species. They do provide a great function and are excellent at cleaning up nuisance algae.

Keep an eye on it and if it isn't attacking fish or corals I would leave him in there.

·
Registered
43 Posts
I agree with the others. Many many crabs are said to be harmful and it really just depends on the crab itself. Just watch him for a few days and if he does no harm then keep him. If not then just put him in your sump.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts