1 platy female

Is my stocking fine or i am overstocked? thank you

·
Master of mistakes
35 Posts
need to ask a few questions first.

what is your feeding Schedule?

What is your filter?

how often do you water change and how much?

how often do you test your water?

Doug

·
Premium Member
3,108 Posts
Does not sound too overstocked at first glance. What are your current water parameters, how does it test out? Also would like to know how old the tank is? If it's an established tank for many months and you still have ammonia being detected in the water, it might be overstocked and/or overfed.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Well i dont test my water because i dont have these equipments over here. I feed my fish once per day. The tank had been running for 2 years, my filter is internal filter it came with the tank. I do weekly 50% water change. Thanks

·
Premium Member
3,108 Posts
Next time you head into town, bring a sample of water to the fish store and ask them to check your levels. If you have ammonia thats the indicator of it being overstocked. Also overstocking sometimes would be what we call it when the fish are nipping on each other but probably wouldn't if they were in a bigger tank. So overstocking covers two things - fish aggression as well as waste levels in the tank.

·
Registered
164 Posts
It's kind of hard to say if you're overstocked or not just by looking at your list. You say the tank has been up and running for 2 years. If you haven't had problems I'd say you're good. If the fish are acting naturally, aren't sick and aren't nipping at each other you are probably ok, but I wouldn't add more.

·
Master of mistakes
35 Posts
also size fo fish makes a difference...if these are all 2-year old fish, healthy not stunted, eating fine....then i would keep doing as you would....BUT what worries me is your need to do 50% water changes??? that to me says "overstocked" ....i am against such large water changes unless its drastic measures, but thats just me......either cut back on fish or maybe do more frequent water changes more often verses a large one

doug

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Well there isnt any fin nipping in my tank and pleco is a bn pleco. They are healthy and they swim in a crazy way. :D

1 - 9 of 9 Posts