Aquarium Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have 3 orandas and one black moor in my tank. One of the orandas eats the most. Whenever I drop the food in the tank, this one will gulp 3 to 4 pallets at once while the others pick one at a time. As a result this one fish out of four is like twice the size of the others. Its belly is round like a balloon. This fish is very jumpy. It dashes around the tank a lot as if it is escaping an attack.

This afternoon, after I fed them, this oranda was dashing around as usually. I didn't see what actually happened. The next time I looked, it was lying on the bottom belly up. I reached in and try to check if it is dead. It came to again as soon as I touched it. It swam around slowly as if it just woke up and dazed.

I don't know if bumped itself into a decoration and got a concussion when it dashes around like crazy. Or if it got an heart attack during its dash because it is so obese. I didn't see the whole thing happened, so I really don't know.

Has this kind of drop dead episode even been recorded? What could be the explanation?

Please comment, speculate.

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
It was so obese that it got stuck in an elbow tube decoration. When I found it stuck, it was gasping for air for a while. After I freed it, it sang to the bottom motionless for like half an hour. It then revived later.

·
Registered
45 Posts
My black moor once choked on a bit of gravel, which caused him to freak out for a bit and then act unconscious. I did a mini heimlich to him and he was fine, i just had to upgrade the size of my gravel. Goldfish like to put things in their mouth that can easily be choked on, so make sure the gravel is bigger than their mouths.
Also, i dont think fish get obese. they can thrive, and they do gorge themselves. During feeding time, try to restrain him in a net for a few seconds so the other ones can get the food first, then let him get what he needs after the others have eaten. See if that works, :)

1 - 5 of 5 Posts