Aquarium Forum banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
264 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Got a new Deco Kit 3. This my new nano. I figured I would use it as my new experiment tank. Here's some pics. By the way there is one upgrade, I put a biocube protein skimmer in it to see how that would work out since i couldn't find one at me LFS that would fit it. But here's the pics.

Any comments or suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

·
Registered
119 Posts
Nicco

It look like you have full actnic lights on it..try 50/50 bulb if you can.. Other than that i would put another baseball size piece of live rock in there. Watch out for the Deco tanks..they are great but they tend to scratch easy. any more questions let me know..once it cycles throw some zoa's in there.

Rick

·
Premium Member
3,108 Posts
Congrats on your new nanoreef Josie!
Taking care of that will be like caring for a bonsai tree.. try and keep everything miniature. I would level out the sand as it gives away the size of the tank in pics. That left side probably wouldn't slope like that in a big tank. Not to be too critical of your masterpiece, lol! Seriously though, you will certainly enjoy that tank, kudos!

·
Registered
264 Posts
Discussion Starter #6 (Edited)
Not sure if my camera has that setting. I'm always messing with that dang thing that I just get too frustrated trying to getting it to take the pics right. You should have seen me at Disney :ISh_the_Fish:. The lighting is what came with the setup (18w fluorescent lighting). So I can only put softies in it from what the book said. I think someone promised me a sun coral (Rick) LOL. Just kidding. The sand I fixed already. I looked at it and noticed it wasn't level. The protein skimmer was working for like the first half hour and then it seemed to have simmered down a little. I tried messing with the air flow but it just kept going back down. But it keeps bubbling. (It's my first time messing with one). I thought it would help with the keeping the levels good but I'm not even sure if it's working. I was going to add another piece of live rock tomorrow since by the time I got home I noticed that I could add another but the LFS was closed already. As for livestock, I just put the set together today so it's going to be a little before I add anything. I want to wait till it's done cycling. When it gets done cycling I will let you know on what livestock I decided to choose. Speaking of cycling, how long do you guys think it will take before it's done cycling?

·
Premium Member
3,108 Posts
I would turn the skimmer off till after its cycled (can you?). And also, if the water is cloudy, the skimmer wont work as well (those little sand particles prevent the bubbles from being as they will be if the water were clear). So that setting where you had some bubbles with cloudy sediment in the water will become more bubbly as the water clears. But if you can, turn it off as it will delay your cycle. You want that crap in there to feed the bacteria colony that's forming now. The cycle might be about 6 weeks.

·
Registered
264 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Oh okay cool beans. I thought the protein skimmer might help the the cycle go faster. Guess I was wrong. The only reason why I asked about how long do you think it will take for the cycle because the guy at the LFS told me it should take about 2 weeks before it the cycle was completed. So I figured I would ask you guys to get a second opinion. But I know that the cycle isn't completed until all the parameters are good and leveled.

·
Registered
264 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Oh forgot to tell you guys, I got another piece of rock from the LFS the day after so I'm good on rock, so now I can finish letting it cycle. Now since this is a smaller tank should i just do the water changes once a week instead of every two weeks?

·
Registered
264 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I have a 3 gallon canister that I had that i used to get the store bought premixed water in but i saw that the LFS made their own so I keep it in that.

·
Registered
264 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
I won't be mixing my own till i get a powerhead (i think that's what you call it {the motor that helps mix in the salt well} ).

·
Registered
264 Posts
Discussion Starter #16 (Edited)
The tank is now cycled.:D I added my Percula Clown for my son. He loves nemo. My peppermint to take care of the aptasia and added my small frag of xenia. Updated pics will be up soon as soon as they are done acclimating. Now I gotta wait another 2 weeks before I can add some more corals. Now if I remember right xenias like place with alot of flow, Correct?

·
Registered
259 Posts
looks good, i got the same kit too.. but ive decided to grow macro algae, pods and bristle worms in mine.. its a nice little system.. good luck, waiting for pics

·
Registered
9 Posts
looks good so far, i have the same tank, i dont use it i upgraded to a 8 gallon bio cube but it was still an awsome tank great for a begginer:) keep us postd

1 - 20 of 29 Posts