Aquarium Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Bullheads Rock My Socks
98 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So i finally got a stand for my 55 gallon tank and moved everyone around, added the new objects and filters and had a blast...took like 3 hours to do everything...

It is 1/2 sand and 1/2 gravel on the bottom

-thick plants on the left to add a home for Dick the bullhead
-thin plants and rocks to cover the intake for the UV filter

Filtration
-2 15gallon aquaclear
-1 60gallon biowheel filter
-1 UV filter

Fish (for now)
-Dick The Bullhead
-his feeder fish

-future plans
-add a bubble wall
-going to the store tonight to look at some other fish to add to it with aggressive behavior

Dick in his side of the tank

Dick entering his house which is a rock with a hole in it that leads to an opening surrounded by thick plants

Side shot of the whole tank

The gravel side of the tank which has the UV filter in it and a smaller amount of plants but with more rocks

overview of the tank which shows the 2 15gallon filters on the left, the 60 gallon biowheel in the back and the hoses for the UV filter on the right

·
Registered
6,072 Posts
Looking good. Keep up the good work.

·
Registered
28 Posts
You may want to get a light for it, most plants prefer it. Around 2-3 watts per gallon I believe, the more the better ;)

·
Registered
64 Posts
Hi. Have one suggestion. Why don't you try to make the aquarium as habitate of this fish- sand, plants, stones,... Aquarists all over the world are trying to make environment in their aquarium as is in nature, you have the opportunity to look and take stuff from his original environment and add it in your tank- you wrote these fish live in rivers nearby where you live. I think this would be better for fish and would look cool too. Hope you understaind this as suggestion and not as critique.

·
Bullheads Rock My Socks
98 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
ok im sorry i havnt updated this post in forever...Dick was doing great in the tank, but i released in my mothers pond, along with my smallmouth bass, and the pond had been stocked with smallmouth, bullhead, sunfish, largemouth, and shiners...so he is in a great home now...the tank now looks significantly different lol

It housed 5 giant danios, 3 painted tetras that did not have very good coloring and no1 would take from my LFS so i took them, a small oscar, a small jack dempsey, and a pike cichlid...which yes was overstocked for them full grown but they are hardly full grown. and i also moved the danios and tetras to a 24 gallon tallboy, since they swim up and down more than side to side.

O.J. the oscar relaxing, he is now about double this size

the pale tetras

Jonsey the jack dempsey

now before you go tellign me a 55 is too small, i understand that, and i have ordered a 125 gallon for the house from my LFS so they will be fine

-i recently lost the danios and tetras to ich...i did the treatments and i left for work and when i got home, all of them were floating, so i buried them outback, and cleaned everything in the tank with everything i could think off, then let them all sit in a bucket to get rid of the soap, then i let everything dry in the sun, and now i reddid the 24 and have 4 jack dempseys i got from a guy off craigslist that were in pretty bad shape...the largest one being 2" long, smallest being 1", and they hadnt eaten properly, the colors were faded to a pale brown, but now they are up and running, brightly colored for youngsters, and are having a great time in the tunnel systems i made them from pvc, flex pipe, and rocks.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts