Aquarium Forum banner

My Native Tank *update

5K views 12 replies 8 participants last post by  Bulleyhead 
#1 · (Edited)
#7 ·
Cool!

I love the idea of a native tank, but only have a 29 gal so it's kind of out of the question. I could put some minnows in it or something, but that's no comparison to bluegill or catfish.

Is there much fighting in the tank? I know some of those species can be aggressive, especially when spawning. What do the catfish feed on?

(list of species is on the youtube page)

#11 ·
Cool!

I love the idea of a native tank, but only have a 29 gal so it's kind of out of the question. I could put some minnows in it or something, but that's no comparison to bluegill or catfish.

Natives are not out of the question for anyone :)
There are several species that stay small enough to keep full life in a 29. The Orange Spotted sunfish, Obesus, Black Banded Sunfish, all stay quite small. Then there are the Darters, Very interesting and colorful (See BT Darters website) The hummingbirds of the Native Fish World.

#13 ·
awesome job on the native tank, and on how clean you got it, most people who attempt a native tank end up giving up hope due to the dreaded brown algae...i had a native tank with Dick the bullhead and 2 sunnies in it, both sunnies passed on for some reson un beknownst to me because everything was the same, but Dick the bullhead is still living strong and hes being moved to the larger tank where he can grow and have a great time. I love native fish more than tropicals and i feel a strong connection to them due to us being from the same place...me and Dick are the best of pals haha

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.