Aquarium Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hi all aquarists!

My name is Tim, I'm a newly adopter of this amazing hobby / passion, and I'm having a gosh darn blast with it. It's mainly used as a stress reliever for me, like a bonsai tree garden! :smile2:

Can't wait to become an active "forum goer" here at Aquarium forum!

Anywho, here are my current setups (mind you I've been in to the hobby for under two weeks and am looking for all possible tips and pointers as I have been furiously researching the hobby).

My first, a 10 gallon glo tank. All plastic decor. :crying:

Twas my first introduction. 3 fish died due to ammonia levels, of which I had no idea would be a problem (A problem which I have learned everything about and fixed)
Currently there are 2 glofish tetra's, 2 glofish danios, 3 pregnant guppies, 1 male guppy, a pleco ,and a pregnant ghost shrimp.
This is my room tank, and I like it a lot. But I was ready to move onto a bigger project.

And thats where my new 40 gallon tank comes into play! :fish10:

This one was HELL. and I say that because fluorite is HELL. But after plenty research I have for the most part cleared the inevitable mud sludge that had taken over my tank, waited a day, planted, then added fishes.
2 Angel Fish
8 Glo Tetras
2 plecos
2 fancy longtail goldfish
and 2 fishes I don't remember the name of!

To clear the mud I have spent hours with filter floss changes, water changes, products like clarity, etc. (it was a nightmare) but it was fun!

So that's my setup, and nice to meet you!

Ps. Why am I not allowed to add an avatar :C

·
On the wild side
4,132 Posts
Hello and welcome. Just an FYI on your 40g, goldies and tropical fish should not be kept together.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I was worried about that but my lfs (petco) told me just to watch them but if I wanted I could bring them back and exchange them. For educational purposes, could you tell me some cons of the mixture?

·
On the wild side
4,132 Posts
1. goldies are dirty and require a lot of space and filtration, 2 goldies in a 40 maxes it out

2. goldies are coldwater fish, tropicals are...well, tropical preferring water in the 80s. Neither will be healthy in the opposite conditions.

3. goldies will eat live plants.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Well thank you very much!
Unfortunately I am not allowed to take them back to pet co because they are my girlfriends fish. So time to add a third tank to my collection. XD
Thank you for your advice!!!

·
On the wild side
4,132 Posts
Any excuse to contribute to multi tank syndrome!

·
Super Moderator
8,277 Posts
Is that a 40 breeder? If so be aware the angelfish will need to be moved too. They get tall when grown ( I have a 6 inch tall one whose ventral a trail another inch down) in a 60 tall and they still have little vertical space. Tall fish need tall tanks.

Reactions: Summer

·
On the wild side
4,132 Posts
Agreed

·
Registered
6,072 Posts
Hi Tim Welcome to this great forum. Your aquarium is looking real good. Keep up the good work. If you need help with your planted aquarium. Feel free to PM and I will do my best to help you out with your planted aquarium.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts