Aquarium Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So earlier this week I put a couple Percula Clowns in my new tank and a cleaner shrimp. They've seemed to be doing alright so far, but today I came home to find my shrimp on the substrate, not moving and looked like he was "bleached". I had a mini freak-out thinking I killed him and wondering how long my clowns had before they keeled?

Well, to my surprise, I found my cleaner shrimp hiding happily under my live rock. Apparently he just molted.

So I assume I need to remove the dead shell? It's of no benefit or harm to the aquarium?

·
Registered
318 Posts
well if you have a good cleaning crew they usely take care of it but you can take it if it sits there for a while tho

·
Goodwill Ambassador
614 Posts
lol...idk about shrimp but for crabs you need to leave the molt there becuz they need the calcium to replace the calcium they lost

idk if it is true about shrimp though

Reactions: JIM

·
~/root
661 Posts
The joy of your first molting :) welcome the the freakiest thing ever! (if you've never seen it before obviously)

I personally would leave the "shell" there it holds calcium which should be taken care of by your cleanup crew.

·
*blackback butterflyfish*
208 Posts
i think they should put on the price tag, "i molt, it`s normal" what about hermit crabs? do they molt and do they need to change shells?

·
Registered
724 Posts
Hermit crabs do molt, and while they have an exoskeleton just like all other crabs, they have a soft abdomen that has to be covered up/protected by an actual shell. As they grow they need bigger and bigger shells to accomodate their growing bodies.

·
*blackback butterflyfish*
208 Posts
Hermit crabs do molt, and while they have an exoskeleton just like all other crabs, they have a soft abdomen that has to be covered up/protected by an actual shell. As they grow they need bigger and bigger shells to accomodate their growing bodies.
hmm.. where would someone find hermit crab shells??

1 - 13 of 13 Posts