Aquarium Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have had marine fish several times and done well as well as fresh water.
I have not had one in several years and would like some opnions if you please.

I have a 30 but want a 50-60.
I have an heiem filter that support 92 gals
I have a light fixture with two double bulbed 50/50 atinic/10k 65 watts ea.
9 watt uv
heater of course
I want to eventually keep corals and fish
I am not sure what fish will go with corals.

I want a huma huma trigger
Clownfish, Mandarin
Cowfish, shrimps, urchins, starfish
Puffer, a benny and a couple of other to replace these I cant put with the others. Which dont need to be in this tank.

What should the salt, temp, ph be kept at?

And I was told live rock loves ruff water well how ruff is ruff? Do I need a couple that goes in the tanks and alternate the flow one off and one on and then on off?

I appreciate any of your time, really I do, this stuff cost to much to waste.

Thanks again,,,,Chris:nemo3:

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
I saw something on line "glue" where you could glue you broken coral back to something and the name is nothing but super glue, can you use superglue in the take, I know you can use it underwater.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Filtering

If you run a filter on an aquarium does it not filter out everthing? and so what does the live rock eat?

·
Registered
190 Posts
Ok I can help. First of are you planning on getting a 60g tank, or just wanting one, also what kinda tank, a Reef tank or a FWLRO(Fish With Live Rock Only). In a Reef tank is corals anemones and usually fish. A FWLRO is just fish and LR. In a Reef tank you wouldn't want any puffers or triggers. But you can put clowns,Mandarins,shrimps, urchins, starfish. Although I dont like urchins kinda hard. Up to you though, if you like em. Also in a 30g reef you could get probably softies, any leather, some SPS, and some lower light LPS hard corals. You could put a BTA(Bubble Tip Anemone), and 3 clowns. Maroon clowns are my favorite. A Mandarin, some shrimp, be-careful with Coral banded shrimp just get one. Id get one Coral banded and 1 or 2 cleaners. A star fish would be nice to. You will also need a clean up crew, which should consist of snails, they will sift your sand around from moving in or on it, also clean up the sand or walls. Peppermint shrimp clean, and Corals banded shrimps clean up food lying around to. Id get a emerald crab or 2 I have 1 they eat algea. And some hermit crabs. You will need to introduce all of you species over time, not all at once or your bio. filtration wont be-able to keep up. I would also introduce your clean up crew first. A good filter( do you have a eheim filter) and protein skimmer. Its a good idea to have a UV lamp to help even though it isnt necessary. BTW do you have the green killing machine. I just got one and wondered how it worked, but I thought I saw a name like your on a diff. form while I was researching them.

Your salinity should be about 2.023-2.025 in a reef, I keep mine at 2.025. You also will need a PH buffer, and your PH should be at 8.3 In a reef tank you will need supplements, calcium, and other supplements. They have some with most of the supplement in 1 bottle. Your Temp, should be b/t 78-82. You will want a heater to keep a stable temp, to minimize stress on the fish and corals, inverts.etc. I would suggest
79F. But if its 82 its ok. 0r even 83, just try to keep it below 83. If it gets like 85 you will need to buy a chiller, but w/a 30g tank and your lights I dont see that happing. Oh yea also, no a filter wont filter out everything, I mean that why you need a protein skimmer. And what you said about water being ruff, what do you mean? Anything else? Just ask. :D

Also you can get epoxy safe stuff for a reef tank, Here is a link. Also just ask for anything else.

HoldFast Epoxy Stick

·
Registered
943 Posts
I would not get the Huma trigger as they are very agressive and the cow fish and puffer should be in nothing smaller than a 150 gallon IMO and a manderin needs a very well established tank as in a year old and at least 150lbs of LR shrimp and star fish need very well established tanks also. I would never use a cannister filter on a reef tank and I dont believe that UV sterilizers are needed either. You should have 1-1 1/2 lbs of LR per gallon with about 20-50 times your total water volume in flow from PH's and a good skimmer and I always recomend useing a sump/fuge it would also be a good idea to upgrade your lighting to at least T-5's if you plan to keep corals IMO. You want to keep your temp between 78-82, ph-8.0-8.3, alk 8-10 dkh, calcium 380-450, mag 1200-1450 and salinty 1.023-1.025. You will need good test kits and dont ever dose anything unless you test for it.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Live Rock and Corals

What is the difference in live rock and corals.

Live rock is rocks with things living on them and Coral are Coral.

right

·
Registered
190 Posts
Yes, kinda. LR has algae, and small creatures living on them but they the rock isnt alive. A coral is like a fish, they actually have a life. Corals need a certain amount of light, water flow. They need other things to sustain there life like supplements. Never dose a supplements or anything until you have tested.

·
Registered
1,770 Posts
actually there are certain types of puffers that can live in a smaller environment and have a 50/50 for attacking corals. these puffers, known as box puffers or "Tobies", don't grow very big, are easy to keep, and have alot of personality. the most common one is the peacock puffer, which will add a splash of auburn/blue/orange to any tank, as well as personality. its a 50/50 chance for them to eat corals and ornamental shrimp. if u r willing to take the risk, i say go for it.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Welll...... I really am confused as hell, so here is my plans. I set up my 30gal tank and the ehiem wet dry gasket is old and it leaked all the way around. I got a new one today (damn there exp.) I am going to put the two compacts atinic and 10k 50/50's 65 watt. a protein skimmer, uv, a power head of shorts for water currents, and when the place I order from get in the light I am going to at a t5 30" two bulb, white and blue. Then After I get some more money I am going to buy some live rock, (how much do I need) and I have read you need to let it cure before adding fish. (how long) Then I will add a fish every month or two, I want a trigger but I guess he is out of the question. I will get shrimps snails urchinns might try a coral and see if he like it. I will put that close to the to of the heap so it is close to the light.

Opnion welcom
[email protected]

·
Registered
52 Posts
I would not get the Huma trigger as they are very agressive and the cow fish and puffer should be in nothing smaller than a 150 gallon IMO and a manderin needs a very well established tank as in a year old and at least 150lbs of LR shrimp and star fish need very well established tanks also. I would never use a cannister filter on a reef tank and I dont believe that UV sterilizers are needed either. You should have 1-1 1/2 lbs of LR per gallon with about 20-50 times your total water volume in flow from PH's and a good skimmer and I always recomend useing a sump/fuge it would also be a good idea to upgrade your lighting to at least T-5's if you plan to keep corals IMO. You want to keep your temp between 78-82, ph-8.0-8.3, alk 8-10 dkh, calcium 380-450, mag 1200-1450 and salinty 1.023-1.025. You will need good test kits and dont ever dose anything unless you test for it.
1+++;)

1 - 10 of 10 Posts