Aquarium Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi guys, I'm going to get a 140 gallon tank, I just need to build a base for it.

I already have two emperors 280 running on my 55 gallon, which I will use in the 140, and I'm thinking on getting an emperor 400 as well. This way I will have enough filtration and I think I will clean the filters in the 400 one week, and both 280's next, and so on.

Suggestions are very welcome!

·
Registered
170 Posts
Well-You may have enough filtration, But may need more room for media especially BIO-Media. I would get a canister filter like the Rena XP4. This filters 450 GPH, but most importantly has plenty of room for Media. With a tank that size you may want to invest in a good canister. OH-and the filters for the HOB will start to add up after a while. I started with two HOB on my 55 gallon, but after a while got tired of the hassle of cleaning the filters & buying new inserts. It was also getting to become a pain when cleaning the tank.Having to remove the HOB every month, clean them & the brim of the tank starts to become a pain. The tank also looked cluttered. I got the Rena & the tank is much cleaner & water is crystal clear. I only clean my canister out once a month, my water parameters are good & the fish seem to be doing well. It also removed that dust/protein from the surface. I use the RENA xp4 & the filtration is crazy- I have so much water movement & flow that even if i pack the hell out the canister with media it still gives me plenty of power.

·
Registered
271 Posts
Well IMO if you are going to stay with HOB filters toss the emperors and get 2 of the 110 Aqua Clears
thats another option. the AC110 is one of the best filters on the market. definitely the best HOB. it has as much media volume as many larger canisters rated for the same sized tank, and a high flow rate great for mechanical filtration. not to mention, many options to customize it to work even better then it already does.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts