Aquarium Forum banner

1 - 20 of 41 Posts

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Ok, so I went to Pet Warehouse already and the girl there knows crap about fish. She sent me home with a bottle of copper stuff for saltwater aquariums and I don't even have salt water.

My catfish is sick, and I don't know what it is. Here is what I know:

1) I've lost 2 fish in the last 2 weeks. Both African cichlids.
2) My Pleco, Jack, and Jaguar all show now symptoms.
3) I just did a 75% water change.
4) I do 50% water changes ever other week.
5) I tested; water is hard, nitrites were a bit high.
6) I added aquarium salt per directions

I have attached some pictures. Someone please let me know. Thanks!

His little "feelers" are normally about 4 times as long

Note the two "spots" on his body. WTF is that????

Gills, they seem normal.

Jaguar, no symptoms...yet!

Pleco, no symptoms, but I'm not really sure that these fish die.

·
Registered
943 Posts
We need tank size, age and what are your actuall test readings, if you have nitrites then it sounds like your tank is cycling, did you have a big PH drop

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
55 Gallon tank. total fish = 5 (pleco, catfish, jag, jack, oscar)

I do 50% WC every other week.

Ammonia looks like 0.8-1.2 (my ammonia test is freakin' worthless. Stupid...bottles...)

·
Registered
943 Posts
Could be ammonia burns get some more wc's done soon and with that bio load you need to do 25-30% twice weekly IMO

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I have 2 filters installed, each designed for 50 gallon aquariums, and I have a power-head with filter designed for 70 gallon aquariums. I just purchased this "ammonia removing gravel bag" for one of my filters. It's a big bag of white rock that just sits inside there. Also, I just did a 75% water change. Should I do more right now??

·
Registered
943 Posts
I hate to say this but if you just did a 75% WC then your trates were close to 200 and your ammonia was close to 4.0 and thats what probably did it

·
Registered
943 Posts
If you have added salt then that will slow down the ammo carb because you can regenerate it by soaking it in salt water. I would try to get a 50% change done yet tonight and another one in the morning

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Ok, this ammonia test says "For ammonia as nitrogen (NH3-N) divide results by 1.22"

I have no idea what that means.

The results are: 2.4

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Ammo test is made by Hagen. It has 3 bottles (1 of them is a little bottle) a test tube and a mini turkey baster thingy.

I have all my air stones running. I can hook up my power head so it blows mega bubbles in the tank if that will help?

1 - 20 of 41 Posts