Aquarium Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
Starting a new 10 gallon Sakura shrimp and 1 male betta
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello, this is my first post.

I'm about to create my first Sakura orange shrimp tank, and if they thrive my plan is to introduce a giant male betta.

I have a brand new 10 gallon tank. I had tons of left over drift wood and cholla wood from my hermit crabs. And a few porcelain decorations I've used in Betta tanks before.

My question is this: I'm looking at the Sunsun 602b (106/gph) and I wonder if that TOO much current for shrimp and a giant betta?

Please advise as I haven't purchased the filter and it is essential that the filter I get is quite. I understand sponge filters and hob filters are quite noisy. I stream and need a quiet motor so it doesn't pick up on mic.

Thanks
-SV

·
Pleco n bn breeder n BOSS
8,085 Posts
I have 3 shrimp tanks and I use sponge filters, I would suggest the same as any other filters can suck up shrimp.. Also make sure you have plenty of plants for the shrimp to hide in or they will end up as expensive snack as no fish is shrimp safe.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I have 3 shrimp tanks and I use sponge filters, I would suggest the same as any other filters can suck up shrimp.. Also make sure you have plenty of plants for the shrimp to hide in or they will end up as expensive snack as no fish is shrimp safe.
Thank you for replying. I didn't mention that I was planning on heavily planting the tank and letting it run for a few months to establish a good bio film and let the plants take root.

As I said sponge filters are very noisy and probably would not work for me. I wonder if a canister intake could be baffled or covered with a nylon to be sure nobody gets sucked in. 🤔

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Wondering if anyone has any experience with Sunsun 602b , and if it generates too much current for shrimps and a giant betta.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I saw this sponge filter and it's got what I want as far as slow current and no intake to kill shrimplets. And it seems to have a place for extra media.

I record and my mic is very sensitive that's what attracted me to the canister filter. But my gut is telling me that filter (Sunsun 602b) is way too big, and might put off /kill my betta/shrimp.

My research (and a board members :) ) are guiding me to get a filter like this , research tells me to plant the tank. I am using gravel not soil, doesn't look like it is bad for shrimp and the Betta don't care. All my plants are rhizome type so I'm going to stick them to lava rocks.

Next I think is fertilizer and then the liquid ammonia to the cycle? I'm going to try the pure chem over the rotting shrimp route. Tank sits near my couch.

Anyone that would let me know if I am heading in the right direction with this. I'm all ears.

Thanks again 😌
-SV

Attachments

·
Pleco n bn breeder n BOSS
8,085 Posts
Thats the first time I have seen a sponge filter with the pump built in. Should be fine though. I would find a different rock or some wood to glue plants to, It would help to look better. You can also plant things like crypts in gravel. Need to add some moss for the shrimp. but not really needed, the just like it.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I saw this sponge filter and it's got what I want as far as slow current and no intake to kill shrimplets. And it seems to have a place for extra media.

I record and my mic is very sensitive that's what attracted me to the canister filter. But my gut is telling me that filter (Sunsun 602b) is way too big, and might put off /kill my betta/shrimp.

My research (and a board members :) ) are guiding me to get a filter like this , research tells me to plant the tank. I am using gravel not soil, doesn't look like it is bad for shrimp and the Betta don't care. All my plants are rhizome type so I'm going to stick them to lava rocks.

Next I think is fertilizer and then the liquid ammonia to the cycle? I'm going to try the pure chem over the rotting shrimp route. Tank sits near my couch.

Anyone that would let me know if I am heading in the right direction with this. I'm all ears.

Thanks again 😌
-SV

Thanks again 😌
-SV
Love it, thanks 👍
Found a huge bottle of pure ammonia in the hardware store around the block for $4!! Amazon had it for $14 +s/h

I shook it up and noted that it indeed had zero bubbles after the initial shake, purity test passed. Only one ingredient is also a good sign. Reviews on Amazon one person chimed in that they used it for a fishless cycle. I'm posting for a final dummy check. I do believe I got the right stuff 😃
SV

Attachments

1 - 12 of 12 Posts