Aquarium Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
hey all, new to the site, already said my hellos in the other thread, so i figured id show what im working with for now. what i got is listed in my sig. only have this for now, till i get my 105Gal salt tank set up :)

the only view of my stubborn Raphael Catfish i can get for now

Swordtails

Dwarf gourami and glowfish

Black Angelfish

another stubborn one... Gold Spotted Plecco

Black Swordtail

all 3 Sword tails

White Angel

and a few full tank shots

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
thank you :) its kinda sparce but i like it (dont want it to be overcrowded)

·
Registered
216 Posts
As an FYI those broad leafed plants you have are non-aquatic (Dracena sanderiana), they will rot and die in your aquarium and possibly cause an ammonia spike. I'm not sure about the thin grass like plant, but that looks suspiciously like Mondo grass (Ophiopogon japonica). Where did you get them?

Here's a link. http://plantgeek.net/plantguide_list.php?category=11

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #5 (Edited)
got them from petsmart, they came in tubes with 2-4 plants per tube. thay are marketed as aquarium plants. it said to take em out, clean the gel stuff off, and plant in new or existing aquariums and be sure to add liquid or solid plant food to the water. so maybe what i got is just something that looks like the non aquatic ones

·
Registered
216 Posts
got them from petsmart, they came in tubes with 2-4 plants per tube. thay are marketed as aquarium plants. it said to take em out, clean the gel stuff off, and plant in new or existing aquariums and be sure to *** liquid or solid plant food to the water. so maybe what i got is just something that looks like the non aquatic ones
Generally any plants found in those plastic tubes are non-aquatic. They are marketed as aquarium plants but will not grow or survive submerged. You can grow them quite well in a terrarium or just a plain pot as a houseplant however. Sorry this happened to you, but I can tell you, you aren't the first one that's fallen into their trap. Sorry to be the bearer of bad news.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
heh, its all good. im glad that i found out before they rotted and screwed with my tank. i guell ill go out this weekend and find some good live plants. theres 2 good fish only stores near me (not petco/petsmart types) so im sure that they will have what i need. thx for the warning :)

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
lol i went to that site again and found that i also have the "aqua fern" (u can see it in the back right corner of my tank in the pics) in there and the picture it shows is almost the same tube it came in

·
Registered
216 Posts
Sure thing. Glad I could help. I bought one of those non aquatic plants when I first started in this hobby.

If you want low light plants check out some Java Ferns and Mosses. They also don't require nutrient rich substrate as they don't need to be planted, just tied to decor or a rock.

Good Luck.

·
Registered
724 Posts
Nice tank. Glad you found out about the "aqatic plants" farce before it caused a problem. At least you have some nice house plants now too!

1 - 12 of 12 Posts