Aquarium Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I currently have a 35 gallon tank with 6 rosy barbs, 5 danios (3 zebras and 2 leopards) and one neon tetra. I would like to start a larger community tank and move the barbs and danios to the larger tank. The tank I have now I am hoping to stock with guppies, corys, platies and maybe some shrimp along with a few more neon tetras. The large tank I want to add the following fish:
Blue Gourami
Honey Dwarf Gourami
Yo Yo Loach
Zebra Pleco or Clown Pleco

The question I have is how many should I get of each to provide proper social conditions and not create aggression issues with the barbs and danios? I will size the new tank based on the numbers of fish I need to add. Also are there any other fish you would recommend? I am trying to keep the size of these guys under 6".

The tank size will be from 50 gallons to 75 gallons, depending on how many of each make a nice school.

·
Registered
1,048 Posts
I'd get the bigest tank I could afford..... I mean everything filter lighting heaters Item you might want to look at would be UV, CO2 system, if it palnted maybe heater coils....Take your time in setting it up gettting what you want slowly, took me 4 months to get everything I wanted for my 70 and i still need a CO2 injection system.

·
Registered
24 Posts
i agree with DJRitchie. take your time and get everything you need because the larger the tank the more money. if you like plecos try the gold nuggets they are beautiful and a nice skoal of fish to have is cardinal tets or red serpa tets, two of my favs. if your doing live plants dont bother with plecos all together as they will eat the roots and plants for food. also loaches like a lot of hiding spots so thats something to think about. as far as aggression all those fish you mentioned shouldnt be any problem keeping with one another.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Okay so i'm gonna go with a 75 gallon. I'm looking at either a Eheim Classic 2217 or a marineland magnum 350 Pro for the filter. Will the magnum provide biological filtration? Of the two which do you guys recommend? Will I need secondary filters or accessories to go with these?

·
Registered
1,048 Posts
ConGrates..... Ok.... I would go with the canister filter for sure, But look online ebay and supplies stores, watch the shipping and alot of times you can save alot of money. Personally I have done the reseach,comparisoin on canister filters and for the money I use cascade filter from Pen Plex. I I had to replace a filter and found them 3 years ago and been using them ever sense, I have 3 of them now never a problem.... they has all the features as the 300 dollars filter but at 1/3 the cost and encludes a spray bar and swivile connectionThe flow by rate is equal to the top Name brand.... IMO your paying for a name on some filters. You something to look at.

In a canister filter there is a black course spounge that is your biofilter... I beleave the magnum has a Bio-wheel.... the problem with these is they get dirty and the wheel stop turn and the bio die because it dries out. easily preventable but most peole just over time don't do it.

·
Registered
12 Posts
i bought a clown pleco about a year ago, its beautiful and i paid about $8. i have never seen a zebra pleco for less than $150.00 so obviously i would suggest the clown...... but if you can find zebras for cheap......... let me know!!!!!

1 - 6 of 6 Posts