Aquarium Forum banner
1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Vodka Doser
6,496 Posts
I moved my 125g, when I had it that is, 3 times. Everything goes into either a 5 gallon bucket, or a 45g tote with wheels. Use a 2 wheeler, or dolley to lift one end of the tank with stand, lift enough to get a 4 wheeler or furniture mover under it. Once its on this one person can move it. Its a really good idea to rinse out the sand at this point also, becasue it will really mess up the tank if you don't.

·
Registered
245 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Okay i see.,.take out all the coarls place them in bags in a bucket then the rocks .,.also the fish.,.,.so i should rinse the sand before seting it back up in the new house., should i use the same water or pre mix the whole 125g would that recycle my tank.,? wat adout alk calcium.,

·
Vodka Doser
6,496 Posts
Rinse the sand out before you put it back into the tank. You can use what ever water you can keep, but remember, the majority of the bacteria is in the sand and rock. If you don't rinse the sand out, all the detrius in it will get into the tank, not really a bad thing, but that alone can throw you into a cycle. With the amount of LR you have, if your tank does cycle, it will be a mini, and won't be a long one. Shouldn't be enough to hurt anything. If your going with all new water, try to have it all set up 24hrs prior to use. Best to use a couple 55g drums, or totes. You should have the water as close to the old water as possible. I had mine all mixed up and ready to go when I moved the tank.

·
Registered
245 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks for the info.,.alot of help.,.,..,i will have water pre mix way befor i move.,..,should i rinse the sand wit tap or RO?,.,..or doss it make a difference ?,.o

·
Registered
32 Posts
Thanks for the info.,.alot of help.,.,..,i will have water pre mix way befor i move.,..,should i rinse the sand wit tap or RO?,.,..or doss it make a difference ?,.o
Rinse it in saltwater. Freshwater, RO or otherwise, will likely kill a lot of what's living in it. The idea is to try to get rid of all the gunk that's settled in it over the years. What I'd do, once the tank is empty and all you have left in there is the sand and maybe about a third of the water, is mix the sand up real well then use a fine mesh strainer to scoop it out. That should leave most of the grunge in the remaining water.

·
Vodka Doser
6,496 Posts
Rinse it in saltwater. Freshwater, RO or otherwise, will likely kill a lot of what's living in it. The idea is to try to get rid of all the gunk that's settled in it over the years. What I'd do, once the tank is empty and all you have left in there is the sand and maybe about a third of the water, is mix the sand up real well then use a fine mesh strainer to scoop it out. That should leave most of the grunge in the remaining water.
This sounds promising. But yea, rinse it in what ever tank water you are able to keep at the end. Just throw it in a 5 gallon bucket and swish it around.

·
Registered
245 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Q? For The Sump/refugium.,,, What Should I Do Whit It ? The Same As The Tank It Has Adout 2" Of M.m And Adout 1" Of Sand,...should I Get New Sand For The Refugium.,,,

·
Registered
245 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Quick. Q?? . ILL BE MOVING SOON. I THINK I WANNNA DO THE LIVE SAND LOOK
..I LIKE THE WAY IT LOOKS. LIKE FINE SAND. ..HOW MUCH SHOULD I PUT I DONT WANNA DO THE DSD. I was thinking adout a inch or two...i remember seeing two kinds .live and
One dry.i think....whts better....thanks

·
Registered
245 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
DOSE IT MAKE A DIFFRENCE IF THE MOVE IS EXACTLY 5 MIN AWAY...MY LFS said i shouldint clean my sand bed to just drop my water to the top of the bed to move ...im gonna still clean it ..even do,..

·
Registered
245 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
THANKS ALOT GUYS .. ALOT OF HELP.. how long should i wait to put the fish back in . i do have a 15g and well my 37g that i can put them in till its ready,... and what about the coral,.. dammm what a lot of Q ?...sorry/..

1 - 20 of 30 Posts