Aquarium Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
That's just an image from google. The plants I have are much smaller, only about a foot. I asked because I saw these plants in PetSmart

·
Aqua Addict
292 Posts
Ya I saw them at petsmart and petco. Both places will tell you that they can go into your fish tank no problem. Well, take it from me, they don't do good and die.

·
Zippy
57 Posts
I find that Petco/Petsmart sell a lot of plants that shouldn't go in your aquarium. Some may be appropriate for a terrarium, but at the time they have it under water which gives the perception that it is OK to do. And the employees will tell you it is OK.
Best bet, do your research at home to see what plants best fit your tank temp, lighting and PH. Then bring a list with you to the store.

·
Registered
724 Posts
+1 Zippy. The chain pet stores are notorious for selling "water plants" that definitely cannot live submerged underwater. Ugh...

·
Registered
756 Posts
A lot of the ones they do sell are in plastic tubes now with some moisture. Even if these plants are ok for tanks they have been growing emersed (out of water). They need to warn you that when going emerse to immersed the old leaves will fall/rot off to make way for the immersed leaves.

I find it better just to trim them off from the start along with most of the roots, and then plant them in an aquarium.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts