Aquarium Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
1,770 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
hi i have 1 little Q: what is the most peaceful of the blue damsel fish (Chrysiptera/Pomacentrus)? ive read that gold-belly, starkii, solomon, and a few others fall into this category. i would just like a good answer on 1 which will make a good, blue inhabitant.

·
Registered
1,770 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Yellow-Tail? from what ive heard they are 1 of the most aggressive!

·
Registered
943 Posts
I have had many damsels and friends with them also and from what I have seen these are the most aggresive ones IMO
1.Neon Velvet Damsel (Neoglyphidodon oxyodo)
2.Three Stripe (Dascyllus aruanus)
3.Domino Damsel (Dascyllus trimaculatus)

·
Registered
1,770 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I have had many damsels and friends with them also and from what I have seen these are the most aggresive ones IMO
1.Neon Velvet Damsel (Neoglyphidodon oxyodo)
2.Three Stripe (Dascyllus aruanus)
3.Domino Damsel (Dascyllus trimaculatus)
thats what the research stated. it was just that i was lookin for some type of exotic damsel, and every reefer who has been in the hobby for more than 6 months knows about the YT.

·
Registered
43 Posts
+ 1 for what archer said i have a yellow tall in my 75 for over 5 years and it has never gone after any of my new or old fish. but my all of my other damsel's 3 striped, Domino, Neon Velvet go after everything in the tank and when i put something new in the tank i have to leave the lights off for a day or 2 and even then they still kill new fish. so now my 75 is going to be call the devils tank aka damsel tank.
good luck
criag

·
Registered
1,770 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
ok so any exotic yet peaceful damsels? every time i google "Most Peaceful Damsel", its the yellow-tail that shows up. i think i'll go with starkii-looks really nice and ive heard that its peaceful.

·
Registered
943 Posts
The starkii becomes aggresive as it matures have you looked at the Halfmoon Damsel (Dascyllus marginatus) not real colorfull but different

·
Registered
1,770 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
ok well it seems there no exotic, peaceful, BLUE damsel for my tank. sorry for being so picky about what damsel to keep. i guess i'll just exclude a damsel. besides, ive heard damsel are not compatible with clownfish, which would be in the same tank.

·
Registered
1,770 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
actually i decided i will go with YT. i guess its my only choice in damsels. besides, it looks nice. so that completes my list of fish for a 40 breeder reef, coming this summer. sorry for the confusion.

·
Registered
278 Posts
There is a peaceful Damsel? I did not know that.

Seriously though, all kidding aside, all the species from this family of fish can be rude crude and obnoxious all out of proportion to thier often dimenutive size. The Yellow Tails seem to be the most reasobable of the bunch if you must have one. What about a Blue/Green Chromis, different fish family but very simular size and shape and far less aggresive, nor do they like many Damsels loose thier brillant colors as they get older and larger. Just a thought to possibly ponder...

·
Registered
1,770 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
i have done a green chromis, but they get just as aggressive as any other damsel when they aren't kept in schools, so thats why i decided not to do a green chromis.

and not all species in the damselfish family are aggressive, schools or no schools. both chromis and clownfish are technically in the damselfish family.

·
Registered
278 Posts
True enough, that is a fact. I have just done pretty well with a small shoal (3-5) of them added at the same time in tanks 55 gallons plus where I wanted something pretty small, colorfull, active and cheap to go with the rest of the fish I already had. Depending on the other fish in the tank plan, a shoal of 3 should be doable in a 40 gallon breeder possibly.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts