Aquarium Forum banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
98 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
what are some of the more sought after freshwater fish?

I'de likemy tank to be one of a kind, but so far, koi, oscars and red botia's are'nt cutting it...

what are some fish that would really draw EVERYONES attention to the tank, weather they're into fishies or not?

getting rid of my oscars IS possible, if need be!

·
Registered
24 Posts
i agree with richie. my fav is cardinal tets and red serpa tets. how big is the tank? if its big go with some clown loaches. but if your keeping the oscars they wont mix very well with those ive named.

·
Registered
285 Posts
I have beautiful Angels.

If you like really attractive fishes I hope you have a big tank, like 55 gallons or a 200 gallon tank for more like me :)

Please read the list I have below :)

Angel Fish

Blue Discus

Acara Cichlid

Blue Ram

Opaline Gouramis

Colorful Assorted African Cichlids

Jack Dempsey

Male Betta

Fire Eels

Bala Shark

Long Fin Danio

Giant Danio

Australian Rainbows

Turquoise Severum

Those fishes are really colorful :) especially the Cichlids, and the Australian Rainbows.

If you have a 55 gallon, at least 3 Blue RAMS are good for it, as well as all of the other fishes. 2-3 fish of each kind is good enough, but since the Discus fishes are extremely expensive, I would choose to stay away from them unless you have some money to use.

Giant Danio - They are great with Angels, because someone on youtube, her user name is Gerardrander, and she has been raising fishes since 1991, and has many live plants that are ancient :)

Angel Fish - Angels are great fishes, but they are very shy, and they can get
stressed very easily, they go well with Danios, Tetras, and Eels.
If you have one XXL Angel, I would get a Turquoise Severum,
they will go well with each other.

Turquoise Sevrum - They can be semi-aggressive, and extremely aggressive, because they are a distant relative to the Cichlids. If you like them, you can get them, but there is no guarantee that they will be calm. Only some of them will be calm, but when introduced with the angels, they tend to be calm. They won't go after Giant Danios.

Bala Shark - They can jump out of your tank if you don't have lids. They will
not be aggressive to any other fishes, because they are semi-
aggressive fish, and other fishes might pick on them causing
them to stress out.

Fire Eels - They can only live in huge tanks, 10 gallon is a defineately no no!! if you ever put one in the 10 gallon, they will hate it, and they will stress out so much, they will die. That is why I kept all of my big fishes in my 200 Gallon tank, and my 29 gallon for medium fishes, and fast growing fishes.

Jack Dempsey - they are not too aggressive, the only time they will be aggressive is when they are mating, and when they are guarding their eggs.

Australian Rainbows - Australian Rainbows are in the semi-aggressive section, because they are not so feisty like cichlids, or gouramis, and they will not eat any other fishes. They might like to eat Dried Blood Worms when they get bigger, so then they can be a great ideal for being with other semi-aggressive fishes, and community fish.

African Cichlids vs. South American Cichlids - They are both cichlids, but there is a big difference. African Cichlids are extremely aggressive, and there is no guarantee that they can live with your other fishes accept African Cichlids.

The cichlids can grow up to 40 cm, because to tell you the truth, my friend has one 40 CM cichlid in his huge 500 gallon tank.

South american cichlids, are actually more like a semi-aggressive type, because they don't really chase other cichlids around as much. I have been raising them for some time now.

They can grow as large as 40 CM too. They will eat fish flakes, and like to stay in 65 gallon tanks at least. If you have a bigger tank, that is a lot better :)

Gouramis - Gouramis are semi-aggressive, but I can tell you, I bought some gouramis, they nearly killed all of my tetras. So I had to give them away :(

Male Bettas - there is something very important.. DON'T EVER EVER EVER!! PUT THEM WITH OTHER MALE BETTAS!!

Oh, and when breeding, get 3 females for one male, because one female isn't good enough don't know why :S it takes one female and male to mate for everything else normally...

·
Registered
98 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Wow! thats what im talking about! +1 on that response!:eek:

Im going to start typin them in my browser, thanks a bunch!:D:D

·
Registered
258 Posts
My trimac red devil cross I got from Lorenzo last month. She is now bright orange in color and Black fins and a black streak from top lip to back fin... what a beauty.

·
Registered
285 Posts
Dark you are very knowledgable and I have to agree 100% with your choices.
Thanks :) I have been doing a lot of experimenting on those fishes :) so cichlids, don't have to go with other cichlids. If they aren't aggressive, you can house them in with plecos, and tetras that don't have attractive long fins :) Betta fishes.. depends on if you have an aggressive one, because they will probably destroy all of your aggressive ones..

·
Registered
285 Posts
My trimac red devil cross I got from Lorenzo last month. She is now bright orange in color and Black fins and a black streak from top lip to back fin... what a beauty.
Yehp I agree with you :) I raised them before, but they grew so big that I didn't have any bigger tank back then.. so then it was squished in my 29 gallon, but it is still alive, and it's in my 200 gallon :)

·
Registered
11 Posts
In my tank I have a great variety of different fishes including 5 gouramis which get more beautiful as they get bigger. My favorite being the honey sunset gourami which is golden and pink, also my blue gouramis are quite radiant compared to most seen at stores, probably because of good diet. The gouramis have also kept to themselves when it comes to their aggressiveness, I haven't even seen them look at my tiny cherry barbs

·
fishboydanny
584 Posts
nice sounding fish! I have her brother...... how do you know it's a female?

·
Registered
66 Posts
My vote for the most beautiful freshwater fish (other than a betta) is the DISCUS!!!

i would love to have some, but my hubby tells me they are hard to keep and need many water changes. and since ihe does the water changes, if he's not willing, i can't have them. :)

but if you want beautiful drama in a tank, that's the way to go.

·
Registered
1 Posts
a beautifully planted discus aquarium is the most eye catching no matter who you are. i recently had to tear down my reef and i set up a planted discus tank in its place. everyone loves that tank. i never thought that i could go back to fresh after a reef...but so far im loving it.

·
Mean old dude
12 Posts
beauty is truly in the eye of the beholder..to some it is something big and to others small.red or blue;green or yellow.it all depends on the individual.
and most sought after is also a relative term..probably most sought after;yet least often purchased is the L-46 Zebra Pleco..a truly stunning fish,yet only black and white.
but i am a big fan of the smaller fish.tetras,plecos,barbs, and cories are among my favorites.

·
Registered
66 Posts
a beautifully planted discus aquarium is the most eye catching no matter who you are. i recently had to tear down my reef and i set up a planted discus tank in its place. everyone loves that tank. i never thought that i could go back to fresh after a reef...but so far im loving it.
ahah....somebody else with excellent taste!!!

pictures please.....

·
Catch and Release
263 Posts
Big groups of schooling fish. Get a group of about 15 serpae tetras with a few long fin serpaes mixed in. Feed them blood worms and they look spectacular.

Australian Rainbowfish are pretty amazing in schools during spawning.

Personal Favorite: long fin, lyre-tail swordtails. Large and beautiful fish.

1 - 20 of 29 Posts