Aquarium Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
190 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi, I'd love to have live plants in my tank but my goldfish eat them as fast as I can put them in. So, I'm wondering about the possibility of moss balls? Do you think the fish will leave them alone or will they just eat them up too?

Thanks in advance :)

·
Aquarioneer
221 Posts
Goldfish tend to be incompatible when it comes to live plants. Whether you have live plants or not. They will eat them, uproot them and just destroy aquascapes.

Mossballs are a bit different. The whole plant is like a mini ecosystem therefore there is no need for it to be rooted. I assume goldfish WILL pick at it, but I dont know if they will kill it completely.

Again, goldfish and plants or decorations dont really go well together.

·
Registered
190 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Hey, thanks for your reply. Yeah, that's what I have heard about goldfish. They tear the place up. I guess the only plants that might be different are java fern as they're supposed to not taste good to the fish. Then again, it may depend on how hungry they are. Never met a goldfish that didn't think it was hungry though. Good thing they have plastic plants I guess. :eek:)

·
Aquarioneer
221 Posts
Yeah, typically Goldfish are just kept in tanks with substrate and some rocks here and there. I haven't really seen them be kept in fully decorated tanks unless they are yet to grow their full size.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts