Aquarium Forum banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello there. I am new here. I am doing some research on acoustic communication in coral reef fish, so i spend my tiume trying to record sound and video from humbug dascyllus and others. I am interested in other fish which make sounds, especially if anyone has any sound files or can have a go at recording.. particularly angels (imperator) clowns (esp tomato) damsels (chromis, humbug) and picasso triggerfish.
cheap hydrophones are available on ebay, (£25) and you can plug them straight into a laptop and listen in to your fish. At the moment my research is looking at why sometimes the fish make sounds when they interact with each other, and sometimes they don't. I am trying tomeasure whether theintercation is more or les vigoroud with the sound, a bitlike maria Sharapova.. anyway, as a result of all this my tank is 2.5 million litres (well its not mine, but I like it)

·
Registered
236 Posts
Wow! Sounds interesting! Very cool research. I look forward to reading up on your findings.. if I had any fish like that I would have loved to help you out! Welcome to the forums, I look forward to hearing more about these communications among fish!

·
Banned
1,323 Posts
We look forward to hearing and seeing pics of your tank and research. Thank you for joining us and making this a better site. We want to welcome you and hope you will enjoy your membership here.

Rose

G

·
Sounds interesting! I had no idea humbugs made any sound... I might have to try that hydrophone thing, I have a couple humbugs myself :)

Oh, and welcome to the site!

·
Registered
250 Posts
blip beep click bloop click
^thats fish for :welcome:
*r2

Welcome to the site. Your research sound really interesting. Do you conduct it all in aquariums, or some in the open ocean?

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
i have made some observations in the wild of the species I am looking at, but I dont have the audio equipment for use there, so the sound recording isonly in the aquarium. The wild obs were kinda just coincidence as I had ahoneymoon trip to the maldives and a family holiday to sharm el sheikh this year, which have to be two pretty good picks for reef fish. I am goingto some aquarium shops today to try and record single species in small tanks, the people I have spoken to are really helpful. one wholesale importer near me is even ordering 25 of the species I am looking at which he doesnt often stock,

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
The humbugs I am recording are 3 stripe.. is that what you keep? (dasyllus aruanus). I am alos interested in anyone who has noticed colour changesin this species. They have a blue stripe on their pectoral fin as juveniles, I want to know when this fades, and they also show some variation in boldnness of stripe, esp from stripe, as mature adults.

Igot my hydrophone from a guy called jez riley french, who sells on ebay, and is local to me, hec came and tried his fancier hydrophone in the aquarium I am recording in as well. The Deep Aquarium - Hull, East Yorkshire. Visitor Attraction and Business Centre.

·
Reefer
213 Posts
Well your research sounds interesting. Let me know when you can speak percula fluently. lol. welcome aboard!

:welcome:

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
made some recordings of clarkii clowns with domino damsels this aftrenoon. there is a call which sounds like a cowbell. I am not sure which fish is making the sound though. The clowns are the aggressors, but the sound could be a distress from the domino.

·
Registered
250 Posts
Crazy! It sounds like you shifted in the chair or something. I can not believe they are making these noises all the time and we never hear them!

Really really cool! Now if you can just figure out for me how to tell my Eels that there is no more water on the outside of the glass!

·
Reefer
213 Posts
i think that has to be one of the coolest things i have seen this week. thanks for posting that.

Reactions: keithbritton

·
Registered
724 Posts
Hi Keith, welcome to the forum! I just finished my MS in Biology on the effects of noise on stress levels in fish and did my study at the John G. Shedd Aquarium in Chicago, IL. Is your study for grad. school-related research? Have you read the acoustic communication studies in fish by Art Popper, Richard Fay, Freidrich Ladich, etc.? They have all done some great studies. Have you ever attended the ASA (Acoustical Society of America) conference or the ACA (Acoustic Communication by Animals) conference? If not you should definitely consider it. I look forward to hearing more about your research. If you think I can help you out in any way, please don't hesitate to ask. I have domino damsels in my tank at home, so I'll see if I can get a good recording of them "purring" at each other next week.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Friedrich Ladich has kindly sent me a chapter of a book he wrote on agonistic interactions, and has been generally supportive with my dumb questions - I am not a marine biologist, or a biologist of any kind. The research is for MSc in evolutionary Anthropology, my previous studies have been in Geology, Philosophy of Science/teaching and Psychology.
I have also had some communication with Eric parmentier, from Liege University and Andy Bass amongst others.

·
Entertainment Commitee
314 Posts
uhhhh uhhhhhh my tank is the ocean beat that mwaaaaaaaaaa

hahahaahaha jk just razzin ya cheers and harass ya on the forum

1 - 20 of 29 Posts