Aquarium Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've been medicating my tank for five days now using Pimafix and Melafix for a cottony fin/mouth problem.

The instructions are typical: take out the carbon/charcoal filter, use for 7 days, then replace the filter and do a 25% water change.

But I've been having ammonia problems, so the past 2 days I've done 15% water changes. I really want to put the carbon filter back in.

If I do replace the filter today, day 5 of treatment, should I increase the dosage of medicine I'm putting in the tank?

Today is the first day that all traces of illness in my fish are gone, but I do want to keep treating for another few days to be on the safe side.
 

·
Banned
Joined
·
1,148 Posts
*w2 somehow i must have missed your intro, but no matter ive found you now so welcome to the forum. If at some point you would like to intro yourself im sure, the rest of the Staff and members would like to greet you also.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
756 Posts
wow...not much help there...lol

Did you notice the ammonia problem prior to medication or after? The Pima and Melafix are supposed to be ok with your beneficial bacteria but if you are having ammonia problems, I would stop medication and fix ammonia and nitrites first! That being said activated carbon will not help unless you have something like ammolock (the white stuff) in with the carbon. Also keep in mind that the carbon does get "full" and needs to be replaced from time to time. Most people I know really don't use carbon anymore.

The fungus/bacterial problem is not as severe and can be put off if needed. Get to the bottom of the ammonia problem right away.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
724 Posts
Agreed. Fixing the ammonia problem is a must. Concentrate on that first and then decide if you need to go back to medicating at all.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Dmaaaaax and LadyOnyx - Thank you, thank you, thank you. I've been really uncertain of what to do. The bacterial/fungal problem (still not exactly sure which it was since both can present with 'cotton' symptoms) took hold so fast and right out of the blue.

But yes, I was having very slight ammonia problems before filter removal/medicating. The tank (20 gal. fresh water) is only about a month old, so the cycle hasn't fully hit its stride.

Thanks again for your advice. The filter's back in place, I did a partial water change and I'm working to correct the water quality before worrying about whether to continue the medication. Thanks!
 
1 - 5 of 5 Posts
Top